Thinking of creating a children's book?

aelfheah

This has been an idea of mine for ages, as I both draw and write on sites and dabble with poetry (for myself only!).

I understand that the field is extremely competitive, so I have merely dabbled by doing caricatures of my kids and imagining various adventure scenarios. I wouldn't even know where to start anyway, size of pics, number of them, whether to script or whom to contact etc.

But I guess we each have a burning pipe dream inside of us?

• 2 weeks later...

You need to get this book. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Literary-Agents-Chuck-Sambuchino/dp/1599632292/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324232412&sr=8-1

Have a look in the children's library and read lots and lots of the books there. Have a think about whether you want to write picture books or short books for young readers. You'll need to know roughly how many words the publishers are looking for. I'm not sure if the above book will tell you that. A couple of calls to agents will be fruitful if you say you're just asking for information.

Most of them don't take unsolicited work, so when you have something to show them, contact one agent and find out what their policy is, then do not send it to another agent until you've heard from the first one. They don't like taking manuscripts from people who have contacted other agents.

It's a lengthy process. Good luck with it!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived