Car fob won't work!

Does the key just let you into the car or do you need it to unlock the steering and turn on the ignition?

Both my bike and my wife'r car have keys. - In the case of the bike, the key unlocks the steering and (partly) activates the ignition; in the case of my wife's car, the key will let you into the car. After that, in each case, you need the fob to disarm the immobiliser and allow you to start the vehicle.

If your remote merely unlocks the car, then you might be able to live with it for a while, but if it is necessary to disarm the immobiliser I suggest you go to the dealer - and soon!

If you don't, then the spare fob will probably fail (at the most awkward possible time, too!)

Shouldn't do as mine was a seperate fob as well.

Just tried it, didn't do anything.

On closer inspection it seems like there may be a tiny piece of plastic missing to hold the battery down properly; the two sides aren't entirely symmetrical... I would have thought Saxons suggestion would have worked though if this was the problem.

Does the key just let you into the car or do you need it to unlock the steering and turn on the ignition?

Both my bike and my wife'r car have keys. - In the case of the bike, the key unlocks the steering and (partly) activates the ignition; in the case of my wife's car, the key will let you into the car. After that, in each case, you need the fob to disarm the immobiliser and allow you to start the vehicle.

If your remote merely unlocks the car, then you might be able to live with it for a while, but if it is necessary to disarm the immobiliser I suggest you go to the dealer - and soon!

If you don't, then the spare fob will probably fail (at the most awkward possible time, too!)

The fob just locks/unlocks. Yeah I can live with it temporarily but really want it sorting.

And don't have a spare fob. :shakes:

Just tried it, didn't do anything.

On closer inspection it seems like there may be a tiny piece of plastic missing to hold the battery down properly; the two sides aren't entirely symmetrical... I would have thought Saxons suggestion would have worked though if this was the problem.

This was my thinking.

Does the printed circuit, complete with batteries, come out of BOTH sides of the casing? If so, can you remove it using kitchen roll? (avoid touching circuit with damp fingers). We are taking the casing out of the equation.

Do you now have printed circuit in your hand complete with battery and inner buttons exposed? If so, press inner buttons gently. Do they all click when pressed? If so, try them on car like this. Do they work now?

This was my thinking.

Does the printed circuit, complete with batteries, come out of BOTH sides of the casing? If so, can you remove it using kitchen roll? (avoid touching circuit with damp fingers). We are taking the casing out of the equation.

Do you now have printed circuit in your hand complete with battery and inner buttons exposed? If so, press inner buttons gently. Do they all click when pressed? If so, try them on car like this. Do they work now?

Yep, comes away both sides. Had bare circuit exposed, buttons click... still won't work.

Archived