Clegg showing some Metlle at last

cameron stood up for britain what a laugh he stopped them regulating our bankers thats all

check how much the financiers and hedge funds give to the tories coffers then you will see what he was protecting

£0.3bn amount from banks in autumn statement

£1.3bn taken from tax credit claimants

I don't think this shows Clegg has metlle, whatever that is. At first he supported Cameron and then got 24 hours of ear-bashing from fellow Lib-Dems. Saying what he's said isn't going to change anything. He's a career politician whose principles disappear when he's determined to stay in office.

I would imagine you are quite correct. What are the options for Clegg and the other LDs?

1 To carry on and stay in power for the next 3 years with a good number of MPs in Westminster and a few in the Cabinet.

2 Pull out of the coalition and face 5 years as a minor opposition party with just a handful of Mps getting returned to Parliament.

3 As 2 but form a coalition with one of the 2 main parties but with so few MPs they wouldn't get a voice.

I can't think of any more but only option 1 gives them any hope of influence and any guarantee of remaining as an MP.

Its not the man in the street that can do anything about the matter,it's Cameron,and what he did was a fop to placate the right wing of the party,the higher ups will be negotiating a solution as we speak.

There is no way we can distance ourselves from the rest,it would make the current situation look like a beanfeast.

Cameron did the right thing but for the wrong reasons.

He was protecting the city but the real reasons for not wanting to be a part of the euro-plus for the vast majority of people are around potential loss of sovereignty, about not wanting to be part of another experiment.

There is this perception now that we will be isolated for ever. I think that is nonsense. In the coming weeks and months we will move closer to Europe again - we will have to for the sake of British business to make sure we retain at the very least access to a free market.

As for Lib Dem crowing today they've been given a special pass out to do some publicly visible moaning and whining. Behind the scenes they are as locked into the coalition as ever and bit by bit selling every core policy they ever held down the road.

Archived