History of Broomhill, Sheffield

sydneygirl

Having recently returned from Sydney, Australia, hubby and I took on the daunting task of renovating an old Coach House in Broomhill. Still loads of work to do, however, we now have a chance to rest a little and I am hoping to research the history of Broomhill. I have found the census records helpful with regard to the large houses around here, and who lived in them in the 1800's, but I reckon our building must have been started in much earlier times. Does anyone have the history around Broomhill or Tapton. sydneygirl

We left from Gladesville, North Shore, but we have lived many years in St George area, Kogarah, Bexley, Rockdale, also the Sutherland area, Miranda, Jannali, Cronulla. We also lived in Western Sydney near Parramatta, Ermington. This is over a 50 year period and we owned and sold our house in each of those suburbs. We worked in St Peters and Tempe and Alexandria and CBD. What areas do you know in Sydney?

There are more references to surrounding neighbourhoods like Fulwood, Eccleshall, Broom-hall, Nether Hallam, Upper Hallam and Sheffield.

These places have old parishes, political units or family seats.

Broomhill did not gain its identity and become a separate until the second half of the C19th when it was the focus of routes to the quickly developing suburbs to to the west.The church site only goes back to 1859.

Arguably the current centre has become Broomhill because of the shops and pubs created when it was Crookes Junction.

The Broomhill racecourse which preceeded the tram was between Crookesmoor and Manchester Road (Standfield). The houses that superseed it have obliterated the original route.

Politics and popularity continue to change the area called Broomhill. After all the capture of the Yorkshire ripper in Broomhill does not go with its image.

There are active groups to help. Try the library. Try Sheffield History.

There are more references to surrounding neighbourhoods like Fulwood, Eccleshall, Broom-hall, Nether Hallam, Upper Hallam and Sheffield.

These places have old parishes, political units or family seats.

Broomhill did not gain its identity and become a separate until the second half of the C19th when it was the focus of routes to the quickly developing suburbs to to the west.The church site only goes back to 1859.

Arguably the current centre has become Broomhill because of the shops and pubs created when it was Crookes Junction.

The Broomhill racecourse which preceeded the tram was between Crookesmoor and Manchester Road (Standfield). The houses that superseed it have obliterated the original route.

Politics and popularity continue to change the area called Broomhill. After all the capture of the Yorkshire ripper in Broomhill does not go with its image.

There are active groups to help. Try the library. Try Sheffield History.

Broomhall I think you mean...

We left from Gladesville, North Shore, but we have lived many years in St George area, Kogarah, Bexley, Rockdale, also the Sutherland area, Miranda, Jannali, Cronulla. We also lived in Western Sydney near Parramatta, Ermington. This is over a 50 year period and we owned and sold our house in each of those suburbs. We worked in St Peters and Tempe and Alexandria and CBD. What areas do you know in Sydney?

sounds like you've been picking your houses off the train timetable at central :hihi: I read them with a leb accent in my head.

most of the areas you mention I 've been to but never lived in .

i've friends in the "shire" though:)

I work on and off on the navy ships down there , S.E asia pacific.south china sea.

I stay in the eastern sub's when I'm in sydney

what made you come back to sheffield?

I remember helping my brother with his paper round in the 40's, he used to deliver to some massive big houses around the Tapton House Road area that were built on big blocks of land, some were leased off into flats, whilst I think others belonged to the wealthy business people of some of the big Sheffield industries, we used to get our conkers from that area.

You could try the local Crookes History group ? I'll PM you a contact address for them.

Archived