Gingrich defends assertion that Palestinians are an ‘invented’ people

What the Zionist movement got to do with the fact that Palestine was split and the majority of it was given to the indigenous Arab Palestinians and the smaller part to the indigenous Palestinian Jews. And now the people that got the majority want more of it.

Read the quote I posted up earlier and decide whether it could be interpreted as a threat.

Country does not always equal nation. Do some reading.

Iran consists of many ethnic groups. Kurds, Azeris, Turks, Persians, Arabs. The boundaries you see today are a recent thing which in many ways pay no respect to the different national groups.

Cuba is a post-colonial ex-Spanish territory. The Cubans of today haven't lived there for 2000 years. :rolleyes:

Living on land as an Arab, or migrating to land as an Arab and then magically being transformed into a palestinian, is not possible.

There was nothing that could make them a distinct people. They didn't govern, they didn't have a unique culture, language, currency, education, military or anything. The highest ranking palestinian in 'palestine', was an Islamic scholar - not a politician, not even a military leader. That's it.

I bet the Palestinians are thinking "Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich? They've got to be made up!"

I don't know, up until the 90's when the palestinians were still relatively poor at media manipulations and PR - it was quite common to change their name to one of their Nazi heroes (the palestinians were Nazi allies and collaborators) in fact a government minister changed his name to Hitler.

Living on land as an Arab, or migrating to land as an Arab and then magically being transformed into a palestinian, is not possible.

There was nothing that could make them a distinct people. They didn't govern, they didn't have a unique culture, language, currency, education, military or anything. The highest ranking palestinian in 'palestine', was an Islamic scholar - not a politician, not even a military leader. That's it.

As I said earlier national consciousness can develop very quickly in certain circumstances. You don't need to be able to trace back thousands of years to claim nationhood.

In 1814 what is now Germany today consisted of dozens of separate countries.

As I said earlier national consciousness can develop very quickly in certain circumstances. You don't need to be able to trace back thousands of years to claim nationhood.

In 1814 what is now Germany today consisted of dozens of separate countries.

In that case if a group of say English Pakistanis decide they had a national consciousness in Britain and wanted their own nation in Britain we should give it to them?

Could somebody take the time to explain why the Palestinians are an invented people?

I don't get it.

The ultra right-wing Zionists use this pathetic statement to justify their illegal settlements.

Fortunately the entire world isn't accepting their nonsense (and they never will) :)

I haven't seen a quote, but a threat to whom and by whom.

I thought as much:

'build up gradually a nationality, and so make Palestine as Jewish as America is American or England English'

The quote is from Weissman at the Paris Peace Conference in 1919.

Martin Gilbert, From the Ends of the Earth. Pg 120-21. Got the book on my lap right now ;)

Archived