Are addictions ever positive?

mart

I got to wondering if addictions are ever positive. Initially, one may focus on the pleasurable aspect(s) derived from an addiction. But, are any addictions free from negative aspects. What if you are addicted to another person for example?

By its very nature (and definition) an addiction cannot be positive as it takes over one's life, otherwise it would be a hobby/occasional indulgence.

But is it necessarily negative if something is the predominant feature of your life.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/addiction

We are all addicted to food, in moderation there is no issue whatsoever.

Not everything addictive is detrimental.

But is it necessarily negative if something is the predominant feature of your life.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/addiction

We are all addicted to food, in moderation there is no issue whatsoever.

Not everything addictive is detrimental.

We need food to survive, as we need water. I don't see that as an addiction. Some people may be addicted to food, ie they overindulge on a grand scale, and the results are usually obesity. I consider any form of addiction to be excessive use/consumption or whatever of whatever the addiction is. I don't view addiction as being a moderate use of whatever the addiction is.

We need food to survive, as we need water. I don't see that as an addiction. Some people may be addicted to food, ie they overindulge on a grand scale, and the results are usually obesity. I consider any form of addiction to be excessive use/consumption or whatever of whatever the addiction is. I don't view addiction as being a moderate use of whatever the addiction is.

That's not what addiction is though!

We need food to survive, as we need water. I don't see that as an addiction.

Technically it is one, but only a fool would bother to talk about it as such, or claim that we are "addicted to oxygen."

Anything beyond that is, of necessity, a negative thing if someone is addicted to it. It may not be harmful to have "xyz" be a major and predominant part of your life, but it is certainly harmful to be in a position where you have no choice in the matter.

Archived