Common Room - Warning

ashmorel

Hi,

Some friends and I were in the common room (new bar above the Forum) last night playing pool and had a really good time until it came to pay for the pool table and they tried charging us for drinks that we didn't have. Seeing as we paid for our drinks seperately at the bar and never put drinks on the table bill then this came as quite a surprise to us.

At one point during the night, there was a group of people who stood next to our table and I can only think that they tried it on and bought drinks trying to charge them to our table so please be careful of this when going to the common room in future. We found the attitude of some of the bar staff quite appalling to be honest and they were basically accusing us of lying and trying it on. It was only when we made it quite clear that we would not pay for someone elses drinks that they relented and took them off our bill. I would suggest you make it clear to the bar staff that no drinks are to be charged to your table to avoid a repeat of this.

Don't think we'll be going there again after last night because of the attitude of the bar staff which is a shame because other than that, we had a top night (although I'm suffering for it today!!).

Cheers

I was in there for the second time (first time in pool bit rather than booths) Thursday night and really didn't like the atmosphere in there......

Don't know if it was I'm a scruffy rock type and its a bit clean cut in there, but it was just all a bit heavy handed and threatening.....

Too much of an 'goodfella' bouncer presence, and too much secret nods, handshakes and whispering going on....... :suspect:

Not to mention...first time we went in it was sub artic temperatures outside, we'd walked from Netheredge so were freezing eventhough we had about 40 layers on and the bouncer had a go at the other half about his hoody as we got through the door....ok not keen on places with a dress policy anyway....but sometimes the weather does play a part in choice of clothes....:mad:

Originally posted by Cyclone

they told us to take our hats off as we went in last week. Didn't care as I was already doing that anyway, who'd keep a wooly hat on indoors, it's for keeping my head toasty outside.

Some places by law require you to take your hat off for CCTV purposes.

Dress restrictions are a pet peeve of mine anyway, why is my money not as good because I choose to dress a certain way. I can see the point if what you're wearing would cause aggro - football shirts etc, but just because you choose to express yourself (or not) by not following the herd.......or choose to dress appropriately for the weather rather than freeze your bits off.......ridiculous!

As I said they could be alright, maybe I'm just used to a more laid back easy going kind of place....

Originally posted by J-Blaze

Some places by law require you to take your hat off for CCTV purposes.

Not the statute law actually, just certain venues have this door policy. It's a similar request to the one in banks and post offices which ask bikers to remove their crash helmets.

Originally posted by antisocial

Dress restrictions are a pet peeve of mine anyway, why is my money not as good because I choose to dress a certain way. I can see the point if what you're wearing would cause aggro - football shirts etc, but just because you choose to express yourself (or not) by not following the herd.......or choose to dress appropriately for the weather rather than freeze your bits off.......ridiculous!

As I said they could be alright, maybe I'm just used to a more laid back easy going kind of place....

to turn it around, why should they care that you want to dress differently, if you want to come into their venue then you have to abide by their rules. They aren't running a public service.

To actually answer the question though, it alters how people perceive the venue, if they want to make it seem a bit more upmarket then they insist on smart clothes.

Archived