Israel is in danger of emulating its worst enemies

As each day goes by, it seems this is actually becoming a reality. Israel, once an apparent democracy, now just looking like it's neighbours (and even worse).

Or was it always like this ? :cool:

----------

It would be appropriate for the leadership to ensure that the present system of shutting its eyes to what is happening does not bring us to a track characteristic of the rise to power of authoritarian regimes.

In November 2011, Meir Ettinger was detained for questioning after he had wandered around the Mahane Yehuda market in Jerusalem in a suspicious fashion. He said that he was taking part in a project known as "Hebrew work" that aims at mapping those shops which employ Arabs and warning Jews not to buy from them.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/opinion/israel-is-in-danger-of-emulating-its-worst-enemies-1.399550

Thank goodness, a middle east thread, there hasn't been one for at least an hour.

Would you rather not know what's happening over there ? - especially when the Western world thinks a certain 'democracy' can do no wrong ?

Would you rather not know what's happening over there ? - especially when the Western world thinks a certain 'democracy' can do no wrong ?

If I wanted to know I'd probably look on a middle east related forum, not the general chat of a Sheffield based one.

Is there something special about Sheffield that makes these kind of threads more relevant? Does Sheffield have a large number of Israelis or Palestinians living here or is there another connection which merits all these threads?

Like I said on the other thread, those who seem to post these kind of threads are relatively new to this forum and don't actively contribute to any other Sheffield related threads, or put their location in their profile (you excepted of course).

If I wanted to know I'd probably look on a middle east related forum, not the general chat of a Sheffield based one.

Is there something special about Sheffield that makes these kind of threads more relevant? Does Sheffield have a large number of Israelis or Palestinians living here or is there another connection which merits all these threads?

Like I said on the other thread, those who seem to post these kind of threads are relatively new to this forum and don't actively contribute to any other Sheffield related threads, or put their location in their profile (you excepted of course).

There's absolutely nothing wrong in discussing 'politics' in this particular section, be it local, national, or international.

Surely it's a good thing to know what happening in other parts of the world, especially if it can have an effect on us here ?

I've lurked on here for a couple of months before signing up.

Since you've recently signed up, what do you think of Israel's behaviour as highlighted in the OP ?

Do you think it's right for it to start resembling it's neighbours ? - the very nations it condemns ?

I want to know with me being from Gaza.:)

i'm from tel aviv, and my dad is from sheffield.

'Xfactory, I mean, ID; any opinion on what's been said in the article ? - here's it again :

In November 2011, Meir Ettinger was detained for questioning after he had wandered around the Mahane Yehuda market in Jerusalem in a suspicious fashion. He said that he was taking part in a project known as "Hebrew work" that aims at mapping those shops which employ Arabs and warning Jews not to buy from them.

Do you have anything to say on that ?

Archived