Car service schedule

Daz33

I bought a car in January 2010 brand new and had a full service after 12 months with 4000 miles on clock. I now have only 7500 miles on clock and am due for a 12 month service. Do I really need a full service every year after 4000 miles as it will cost over £200? Or could I get away with an interim service until 12000 miles? I also have a 5 year warranty and don't want to affect it by not sticking to service schedule. Any help appreciated, thanks.

I bought a car in January 2010 brand new and had a full service after 12 months with 4000 miles on clock. I now have only 7500 miles on clock and am due for a 12 month service. Do I really need a full service every year after 4000 miles as it will cost over £200? Or could I get away with an interim service until 12000 miles? I also have a 5 year warranty and don't want to affect it by not sticking to service schedule. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Book it in for the oil and filter to be changed and a brake pad wear check max one hour labour charge.With the low millage you do thats all that is needed.Check your own tyre pressures and tread .Check levels yourself its all easy stuff the drivers hand book will show you how if you are not sure.If you cant do simple maintaince then book in for a full service.

I would read the terms of the warranty as some do state that annual services have to be carried out at a certain mileage/12mths, whichever comes first.

factory warranty will be invalidated if you dont stick to the schedule. mileage isnt a factor on some items, ie cam belt - some insist on 2yrs or 5 yrs etc regardless of mileage, belts age.

Could some one who works for a main dealer give us an average price for a service based on the millage and age of the o.p s car.

Yeah, you'll still need to service it according to the schedule if you want to maintain the warranty. Doesn't need to be main dealer though.

Not sure what type of mileage your car does but, if it's like mine - even though I only do about 8,000 a year - it's mainly town driving - stop start and often without the engine getting fully heated up. I reckon that my car is more in need of a service than someone doing twice the mileage.

G

Yeah, you'll still need to service it according to the schedule if you want to maintain the warranty. Doesn't need to be main dealer though.

Not sure what type of mileage your car does but, if it's like mine - even though I only do about 8,000 a year - it's mainly town driving - stop start and often without the engine getting fully heated up. I reckon that my car is more in need of a service than someone doing twice the mileage.

G

And your reasoning for this is? if you take that theory to the extreme some one doing one thousand a year would never be out of the service station.

some manufacturers have a special low/high millage schedules ie. VAG.

factory warranty will be invalidated if you dont stick to the schedule. mileage isnt a factor on some items, ie cam belt - some insist on 2yrs or 5 yrs etc regardless of mileage, belts age.

It's all about probability re. warranties etc..

Ask yourself: how often do you drive ? - how do you drive ? - is it really worth it taking more warranty out (apart from the standard one) ?

This applies to not only cars but general household appliances like TVs, DVDs etc.

I mean, if you're very careful about your products, it's extremely unlikely you'll need the extra protection. It's only worth it if you're a boy-racer (re. cars), and you drive hundreds of miles a week.

If not, then it's juts a scam by the dealers (and other businesses) to get your cash.

Same thing with companies like the AA or RAC; how old is your car ? - has it let you down in the past etc... ? - if you buy their policies and you don't call them out for years, who's losing out and who's gaining ?

You need to weigh up the pros and cons.

Archived