Know anything about Richards cutlers?

sue_bix

You might find that if it is a mother of pearl handled knife it could be a Joseph Rodgers one. Rodgers and Wolstneholm were based on Guernsey Road at Heeley until around 80/81. They were taken over by an American company, who also bought Richards. After a short while the Guernsey Road plant was closed (making way for the B&Q which is now Dunelm)and most staff moved in to Richards. From then on most things were branded Richards.

If it is a Joseph Rodgers one it would be worth more than a Richards one as their products were a whole lot more classier.

Don't know when Richards came in to being but know it closed in 1984.

Richards did mother of pearl in the 70s cos I worked there then

My mum worked there. The folding knives were absolute junk, though when Rodgers moved in with them they did a decentish swiss army knockoff with a hollow ground blade. They also did ok scissors with inlaid blades.

My mum worked there. The folding knives were absolute junk, though when Rodgers moved in with them they did a decentish swiss army knockoff with a hollow ground blade. They also did ok scissors with inlaid blades.

Junk or not they made a hell of a lot of them.

I bet a hell of a lot of people still have a penknive or scissors lurking in some drawer or cupboard ...especially the tiny penknife on a keyring....

It wouldn't,t be allowed now to have one on your person...I used to have one hanging on my bag handle.

Yep, you're right Jaxy, they must have made millions of em. Never saw one with pearl scales though, ones we all had as kids were all hollow pressed metal wrapped in thin patterned plasticy stuff held on by 2 bent over tabs. Thinking back some were quite big but no one gave a second glance at a kid whittling a stick back then, happy days! Btw, think your bag handle knife still legal if blade under 3 inches, IIRC.

Yep, you're right Jaxy, they must have made millions of em. Never saw one with pearl scales though, ones we all had as kids were all hollow pressed metal wrapped in thin patterned plasticy stuff held on by 2 bent over tabs. Thinking back some were quite big but no one gave a second glance at a kid whittling a stick back then, happy days! Btw, think your bag handle knife still legal if blade under 3 inches, IIRC.

Reminder playing stretch jim ?

I used to visit Richards in period 1966 to 68 ish to sell and service electroplating products we sold to the company for the finishing of the products. We sold our chrome processes to the company and I well remember Muller , German extraction a formidable character difficult to deal with for me as a young rep. Fortunately my boss was of German extraction , so they would prattle in German on the old times in Germany before the war. Maybe that is how we managed to secure business in this account !

I used to visit Richards in period 1966 to 68 ish to sell and service electroplating products we sold to the company for the finishing of the products. We sold our chrome processes to the company and I well remember Muller , German extraction a formidable character difficult to deal with for me as a young rep. Fortunately my boss was of German extraction , so they would prattle in German on the old times in Germany before the war. Maybe that is how we managed to secure business in this account !

Perhaps they were discussing our railings which the R.A.F. dropped on em;)

• 8 months later...

I have a Richards pocket knife with an Arsenal footballer on one side and what appears to be pearl on the other. It has a single blade. I have had since the 1950s so it is at least 60 years old. Anybody got any idea as to when the y were made - I have not seen the like before

...Anybody got any idea as to when they were made...
Richards produced a series of single-blade penknives for major football teams in the mid-1950s. Somewhere I have a similar 'Sheffield Wednesday' knife that I got in my Christmas stocking in 1956 or 1957. Here are photos of two examples of these penknives. :) Edited by hillsbro

Richards produced a series of single-blade penknives for major football teams in the mid-1950s. Somewhere I have a similar 'Sheffield Wednesday' knife that I got in my Christmas stocking in 1956 or 1957. Here are photos of two examples of these penknives. :)

Hi hillsbro, I'd say those examples must have been produced in the 60s judging by the style of football kit displayed.