No prayers at council meetings.

I was just reading this from the National Secular Society. It's regarding them putting their case forward in the High Court for councils to stop having prayers at the beginning of meetings.

Firstly I didn't realise it went on. I also dislike how if an atheist feels uncomfortable with it they're asked to leave.

As said in the report, if someone was against the reading of racist or sexist material they wouldn't be asked to leave so why should an atheist. God doesn't belong in council meetings.

Especially considering religion in Britain is in rapid decline.

Why would someone that doesn’t believe in God be uncomfortable with a prayer?

Because praying to gods has no place in a publically elected forum such as a Council meeting. It is insulting to one's intelligence and the "We've always done it this way" argument doesn't hold water either.

Bideford? Seems like a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. How many other councils have prayers at the beginnings of meetings? Sheffield certainly doesn't and I'd bet none of the other Northern Mets do either.

Devon County Council

Mid Devon District Council

North Devon District Council

Plymouth City Council

South Hams District Council

Teignbridge District Council

Torbay Council

Torridge District Council

West Devon Borough Council

Ashburton Town Council

Bideford Town Council

Dartmouth Town Council

Newton Abbot Town Council

Ottery St Mary Town Council

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8798878/Councils-told-to-stop-praying-before-meetings.html

Why does it seem like a sledge hammer? Religion should not mix with state affairs. We're not all believers in the Christian god.

Why would someone that doesn’t believe in God be uncomfortable with a prayer?

What Bloomdido said.

Though I will add, if one doesn't believe in god then it all just sounds like tosh which has no reflection on the meeting taking place. To an atheist they may as well be talking to the Easter Bunny. Not really appropriate behaviour for our elected representatives.

What Bloomdido said.

Though I will add, if one doesn't believe in god then it all just sounds like tosh which has no reflection on the meeting taking place. To an atheist they may as well be talking to the Easter Bunny. Not really appropriate behaviour for our elected representatives.

I would agree that prayers should be banned because they may offend a member of a different religion, but I don’t see how they would offend an atheist. I just sit and ignore prayers when I have no choice about listening to them.

I would agree that prayers should be banned because they may offend a member of a different religion, but I don’t see how they would offend an atheist. I just sit and ignore prayers when I have no choice about listening to them.

Offend is a bit harsh. I don't think any atheist has been offended by prayers (Except for the ones that call for their death).

It's the fact that it shouldn’t happen in public meetings and if an atheist objects they are told they can leave. I ask if someone was reading a racist book would anyone who doesn't believe what is being read out be told to leave?

Offend is a bit harsh. I don't think any atheist has been offended by prayers (Except for the ones that call for their death).

It's the fact that it shouldn’t happen in public meetings and if an atheist objects they are told they can leave. I ask if someone was reading a racist book would anyone who doesn't believe what is being read out be told to leave?

Sorry my bad I managed to get from uncomfortable to offend. Just replace all my offends with uncomfortable.:)

Archived