No prayers at council meetings.

Offend is a bit harsh. I don't think any atheist has been offended by prayers (Except for the ones that call for their death).

It's the fact that it shouldn’t happen in public meetings and if an atheist objects they are told they can leave. I ask if someone was reading a racist book would anyone who doesn't believe what is being read out be told to leave?

It would be interesting to see what the religious members would do if the Atheist resisted the "Atheist Anthem"

Would you take someone seriously if before they had a meeting with you they must consult the Easter Bunny? I think that's the uncomfortable part.

Some councillors dress up as Santa at Christmas they are still taken seriously.

Personally I don’t take any of them seriously. :D

I was christened. Went to sunday school.

Now I make my own decisions. I don't believe in any god.

Yet, if I go to a funeral, and the lords prayer is said, I bow my head and say it. I might even mutter some of the words of a song or two if I know it.

I do this because of respect to the person who has passed away, and their family.

If 'some' want to continue to have prayer, before council meetings, because it's traditional. Ask all councillors what religious belief they have before hand.

Then, all stand, and respect, whilst the prayers of each, are said :)

That's fair to all isn't it.

I was christened. Went to sunday school.

Now I make my own decisions. I don't believe in any god.

Yet, if I go to a funeral, and the lords prayer is said, I bow my head and say it. I might even mutter some of the words of a song or two if I know it.

I do this because of respect to the person who has passed away, and their family.

If 'some' want to continue to have prayer, before council meetings, because it's traditional. Ask all councillors what religious belief they have before hand.

Then, all stand, and respect, whilst the prayers of each, are said :)

That's fair to all isn't it.

All believers in gods. Not to none believers.

I agree with the bowing my head for a fallen friend but I wouldn't hypocritically ask the lord to look after them. I think that would be an insult to a friend by saying goodbye with a lie.

Do or could you know your friend wasn't a believer.

Me and the wife have cd's prepared for our demise.

No songs, no prayer.

JUst our fave tracks.

Get the cremation over, pub.

For the remaining one of us LOL

It's not about my friend's beliefs. It's the fact I would know I was lying to my dead friend who likely knew my beliefs as I knew his.

No-one ever says to a religious person, "Can't you pretend you don't believe in god?".

It's not about my friend's beliefs. It's the fact I would know I was lying to my dead friend who likely knew my beliefs as I knew his.

No-one ever says to a religious person, "Can't you pretend you don't believe in god?".

But when death does come if you did believe we all go to a magic place then it lessens the blow. Those of us who think we're all wormfood will hardly lighten the tone by pointing out that fact. Time and place, best to be diploamtic and I very much follow TaxiBaz's approach at funerals (though got outed as a CofE educated type at a Catholic funeral as their Lords Prayer has different words apparently..oopsie!)

But when death does come if you did believe we all go to a magic place then it lessens the blow. Those of us who think we're all wormfood will hardly lighten the tone by pointing out that fact. Time and place, best to be diploamtic and I very much follow TaxiBaz's approach at funerals (though got outed as a CofE educated type at a Catholic funeral as their Lords Prayer has different words apparently..oopsie!)

I too would respect the dead. Not talking to an invisible man is not disrespecting them in any way.

Archived