No prayers at council meetings.

I too would respect the dead. Not talking to an invisible man is not disrespecting them in any way.

We pay our own respects to the dead in and of ourselves, the issue at hand is respecting the grieving relatives who think religously. Personally I go with what TaxiBaz does, I'm not knocking you for not joining in mate :)

It's the fact I would know I was lying to my dead friend who likely knew my beliefs as I knew his.

LOL I've sat and looked at this and can't parse it.

He likely knew, but you did.

And no you wouldn't be lying, you'd be respecting him because you 'know'.

I always find 'petty praying' a lovely form of irony. With war, famine, rape and murder in the world, I wouldn't think God has much time to help council meetings stick to their agenda.

I've sat in a few council meeting and the way they acted I would swear they pray to the devil.:D

LOL I've sat and looked at this and can't parse it.

"It's the fact I would know I was lying to my dead friend - who likely knew my beliefs, as I knew his. "

In other words, he'd be an utter hypocrite for pretending to pray to God when he is utterly convinced that no such thing exists - and his friend, were he still alive, would have known it was hypocrisy.

Does anyone know the reason WHY these people pray before a meeting? Is there a purpose or do they tend to pray before most activities in every day life?

Also, if atheists are advised to leave (if they don't like it) while they pray, what do people of other faiths do?

Does anyone know the reason WHY these people pray before a meeting?

There was a time when it was legally compulsory to attend church, and was probably, also, compulsory to have prayers before official meetings.

It hasn't been so, for at least a century and a half, but old habits die hard. Some people believe that anything being old is a good reason to destroy it - which is silly - but far more people hold the equally silly belief that something being old is, in and of itself, a good reason for keeping it.

Archived