Organ donation time for an opt out policy?

If you will not give, should you receive ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. If you will not give, should you receive ?

No to opt out but yes to keeping it as a opt in policy.

Cant do the poll as its nothing to do with the question posted.

So why should a person who would never donate an organ, be allowed to have a transplant? Seems immoral to me given such a shortage of organs.

So why should a person who would never donate an organ, be allowed to have a transplant? Seems immoral to me given such a shortage of organs.

Give people who would donate priority, fine, but you can't just let people who could be saved die because they were brought up with some retarded religious mentality.

Give people who would donate priority, fine, but you can't just let people who could be saved die because they were brought up with some retarded religious mentality.

Giving those on the donor list priority would amount to doing exactly that, since organs are in such short supply. Anyone without that priority would have no chance whatsoever of ever reaching the top of the waiting list.

On the other hand, if we transferred to an "opt out" system the number of available organs would probably increase by some orders of magnitude. I strongly suspect that the vast majority of those who don't carry a donor card have no great moral objection to organ donation, but just never bother to sign up. If (if!) I am right, then changing to an opt-out system would mean that even those who opted out could probably still be saved, despite not getting priority.

The same people would deny the possibility of a chance of life by refusing to donate there own organs, so it does seem to me immoral to have them on a waiting list at all for a transplant. Even with reduced priority, regardless of faith ethnicity etc. If, in my opinion, an individual opts out of an organ donation scheme they should also be barred from ever being added to a transplant waiting list.

The same people would deny the possibility of a chance of life by refusing to donate there own organs, so it does seem to me immoral to have them on a waiting list at all for a transplant.

You could well argue (and I'd agree with you) that it is immoral for them to want to receive organs despite refusing to donate.

I'm not so sure that you can make a case for it being immoral, on the part of the doctors, to save their life if they can do so.

On the other hand, if we transferred to an "opt out" system the number of available organs would probably increase by some orders of magnitude

A change I have strongly advocated ever since I heard of the success in other countries. Why aren't we doing that? It makes so much sense.

You could well argue (and I'd agree with you) that it is immoral for them to want to receive organs despite refusing to donate.

I'm not so sure that you can make a case for it being immoral, on the part of the doctors, to save their life if they can do so.

Your first part I agree.

Your second part is harder, however we do allow doctors to do that now. In areas such as the allocation of new drugs etc.

Archived