Organ donation time for an opt out policy?

If you will not give, should you receive ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. If you will not give, should you receive ?

Would that apply to blood transfusion as well?..If you've never donated you can never have one?

If it were to apply to blood, it would have to be "never offered to donate." There are numerous people from whom the Blood Transfusion service would refuse to accept donations, for varying reasons. Being underweight, low blood pressure, a variety of diseases or medication, all can rule you out.

If it were to apply to blood, it would have to be "never offered to donate." There are numerous people from whom the Blood Transfusion service would refuse to accept donations, for varying reasons. Being underweight, low blood pressure, a variety of diseases or medication, all can rule you out.

But on the basic priciple you think that non-doners shouldn't have a transfusion?

Blood donation is important and I would ask you reading this to do it, it's painless. Blood you donate is soon replaced, by your body. For this reason I see it as a separate issue.

At least two people a day die while waiting for a transplant.

That's why I'm pro opt out and that's why I'm pro, if you opt out your not eligible to ever be placed on a transplant list.

Sounds harsh but people are selfish and it would make a person think twice prior to opting out.

Your poll needs another option 'would give if I could but I can't'. Some people cannot/are not allowed to donate organs for various reasons. Many people in this situation would want to donate but don't have that option - not really fair to say that they shouldn't receive the same treatment back - why should they be removed off a transplant list. That's a very narrow-minded, black and white thing to say.

"cause no harm or injury" that's civilization

I carry a organ donation card, my wife does too, have done for years....its my choice and my family accept its my wish...I ride a motorbike and my family understand that my organs can be harvested upon my death. They may get some comfort at a later time by my gesture.

However for someone who doesn't want to sign a donor card but the government make a law that lets them just take them,...then say their father/husband died and then the family couldn't have the body until heart, liver, kidneys, and eyes have been removed then the family has been harmed and injured....that's not being civilized

However for someone who doesn't want to sign a donor card but the government make a law that lets they just take them,...then say their father/husband died and then the family couldn't have the body until heart, liver, kidneys, and eyes have been removed then the family has been harmed and injured....that's not being civilized

Nobody's suggesting it should be compulsory; just that those who don't want to donate should have to opt out, rather than people having to remember to opt in.

Your poll needs another option 'would give if I could but I can't'. Some people cannot/are not allowed to donate organs for various reasons. Many people in this situation would want to donate but don't have that option - not really fair to say that they shouldn't receive the same treatment back - why should they be removed off a transplant list. That's a very narrow-minded, black and white thing to say.

I carried a donor card from my teens. Then, I became an Insulin dependent diabetic.

I could not donate my organs, as a result, because the recipient would have a severe reaction to the insulin, so count me in for the "Would if I could but I can't" option.

Nobody's suggesting it should be compulsory; just that those who don't want to donate should have to opt out, rather than people having to remember to opt in.

that may not seem like compulsory but it may as well be.. if the person doesn't get around to opting out then the loved ones can expect a body with many missing parts turning up at the morgue and find the government blaming the bereaved children and their dead father for not getting it sorted when in fact it was the government that changed the law on donation. In fact it would need the title changing from Organ Donation to Burke & Hare Hospital Supplies

that may not seem like compulsory but it may as well be.. if the person doesn't get around to opting out then the loved ones can expect a body with many missing parts turning up at the morgue and find the government blaming the bereaved children and their dead father for not getting it sorted when in fact it was the government that changed the law on donation. In fact it would need the title changing from Organ Donation to Burke & Hare Hospital Supplies

Tough, the family would have to get a grip and realise that another person has been given a chance at life. That the scheme improves there chances should they ever need a transplant. They could be taken to see some dying kids waiting for a donor, sounds harsh tough.

Archived