Taliban heroin and your street

I saw some opium poppies growing on neil road, just off ecclesall road a few months ago.

true story.

It's not a big deal, they're a common plant here and many people grow them in their gardens as they're showy and impressive. Go to the gardens at Renishaw Hall in high summer and you'll see lots of them. They are perfectly legal to grow.

Since then the UK now produces its own heroin for the NHS. I know you realise this, but it'll be news to other forum readers.

There's huge opium poppy fields at Didcot in Oxfordhire and at other semi-secret locations. I suspect it would be cheaper for us to buy it from impoverished Afghani farmers which would both win hearts and minds out there in Afghanistan and also keep heroin off the streets here.

Please explian to me what kind of an area that is now.

Last time I lived in my home town, that was a decent area.

it is, don't worry they weren't planted by junkies

It's not a big deal, they're a common plant here and many people grow them in their gardens as they're showy and impressive. Go to the gardens at Renishaw Hall in high summer and you'll see lots of them. They are perfectly legal to grow.

yeah, the effort and amount of opium youd get from about 10 plants is harldy worth it, let alone processing it into heroin. you need fields off the stuff.

plus they are very beautifull plants.

Since then the UK now produces its own heroin for the NHS. I know you realise this, but it'll be news to other forum readers.

There's huge opium poppy fields at Didcot in Oxfordhire and at other semi-secret locations. I suspect it would be cheaper for us to buy it from impoverished Afghani farmers which would both win hearts and minds out there in Afghanistan and also keep heroin off the streets here.

I have heard rumours of big legal fields of marijuana over here, for what purpose or if it is even true I'm not sure, could just be hemp as opposed to acutal weed, but who knows?

I have heard rumours of big legal fields of marijuana over here, for what purpose or if it is even true I'm not sure, could just be hemp as opposed to acutal weed, but who knows?

It's just hemp. There was one near Doncaster.

This company grows marijuana for medicinal purposes, but I think they use greenhouses. http://www.gwpharm.com/

It's just hemp. There was one near Doncaster.

This company grows marijuana for medicinal purposes, but I think they use greenhouses. http://www.gwpharm.com/

fair enough. I'm not a massivr one for conspiricy theories, but I have heard things that one of the main reasons marijuana was banned is due to the fact that hemp seriously threatened our cotton industries at the time.

fair enough. I'm not a massivr one for conspiricy theories, but I have heard things that one of the main reasons marijuana was banned is due to the fact that hemp seriously threatened our cotton industries at the time.

We've never had any cotton farming in the UK, don't have the climate for it. That was Americans & Egyptians. Cotton doesn't really compete with hemp anyway, you wouldn't want your clothes made out of hemp, just like you wouldn't want a strong rope to be made of cotton. Nylon however...

of course we never grew it, but we processed a hell of a lot of it during the industrial revolution.

Yes we did, but it was 1928 when marijuana was made illegal in the UK, 1937 in the US. We'd already lost our competitive advantage for cotton production by then. I don't see much reason why hemp couldn't have been processed here too & it can be grown in this country.

It was banned after the international opium convention in 1925 - "Egypt, with support from China and United States, recommended that a prohibition on hashish be added to the Convention" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Opium_Convention Egypt depended on cotton at the time & it is still a big export for the USA.

Yes we did, but it was 1928 when marijuana was made illegal in the UK, 1937 in the US. We'd already lost our competitive advantage for cotton production by then. I don't see much reason why hemp couldn't have been processed here too & it can be grown in this country.

It was banned after the international opium convention in 1925 - "Egypt, with support from China and United States, recommended that a prohibition on hashish be added to the Convention" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Opium_Convention

possibly due to the influence of cotton producers. lobbyists aren't a new thing. If you though you could preserve a trade that you had a massive vested interest in and the government of the day was up for financial persuasion you would go with it.

Archived