Have Clegg and the Lib Dems screwed up this week over Europe?

Tony

European treaty  

36 members have voted

1. 1. European treaty

• Clegg is right
    • Cameron is right

Another utterly pointless poll because it'll be a foregone conclusion knowing some of the idiotic posters/comments on these forums.

Mecky, you're talking out loud again...

The other day I was in a queue at the supermarket and was thinking about something which had recently happened. I thought to myself "Oh God!" but I must have said it out loud/under my breath because the person in front of me turned around and tried to give me some verbal but I resisted and couldn't be bothered to argue (They nearly learned how to fly through a shop window theough). What's wrong with people to make them feel so insecure or even paranoid? And it wasn't just that person either, I've noticed loats of such occurrences over the years.

Besides, why would I want to do that?
Because you have yet to make a substantial contribution in this thread or the other one, Mecky?

Somewhat more susbtantial than yet another "VAT Man and Speer and Boy Blunder" ad hominem attack (yawn)?

In your opinion, Mecky, why was Cameron wrong to threaten a veto (he hasn't actually used it, btw)?

In your opinion, Mecky, can the LibDem's position be defended?

I'm genuinely interested. Yes, really. :)

why would I want to do that?

Clearly you don't. It would however be a nice change if your posts made sense and didn't simply contain some unfounded whine at every turn.

What you mean is why you can't have an easier life and get away with things?

I'll take some of whatever you're smoking.

IMHO, they screwed up majorly - both politically and in their (expected) requirement to act in the nation's best interest. But then again, it is the LibDems we are talking about :hihi:

Clegg has flip-flopped quite badly on this point hasn't he? I suppose we have to add Europe to the list of key Lib Dem policies that Clegg has made a dog's breakfast of.

Sometimes people need compelling into resolving their thoughts and actually making a decision. So, there are just the two options if you wish to cast a vote.

Interestingly the poll has been reasonably evenly split throughout.

They screwed up, not this week, but on the day they betrayed thier voters and the country by going in with this fool Cameron.

As you are a lib dem I dont know why you pretend to be non partisan.

At least Rich has the courage of his convictions, and good on him.

It was clear as day Sarkozy and Merkel wanted the hide of the City...doing their own "repatriating" (of financial boon) to Paris and Frankfurt's trading quarters. And clear as muck what the UK would surrender further, by agreeing (as the latest news are now starting to highlight).

I'm quite sure the French and German governments would welcome more financial services into their respective countries, but i haven't seen anything in the proposals which would actually have encouraged that.

Financial services are part of the single market and so are already subject to eu regulation and the Vickers report recommends things that seem to be far in excess in anything which eu has suggested.

i find it strange that this has been billed as a "protecting the city" thing.

if cameron had come out and said some of the things which others on here have said, like controlling deficits to the extent agreed seems dangerous especially in times where an economic stimulus is needed and such like then it all might make more sense.

reopening the treaty would probably have needed a number of referendum's which regardless of the risks of them not passing would have delayed the process and at the minute, time is of the essence. an intergovernmental treaty may not need as many referendums.

i'm not a conspiracy theory nut but it seems very much like cameron has agreed to play the bad guy to help the euro governments sort themselves out while at the same time throwing a bone to the insane wing of his party.

They screwed up, not this week, but on the day they betrayed thier voters and the country by going in with this fool Cameron.

They told their voters, long before the election, that they could work with either major party to form a coalition. How is making good on what they said, a betrayal?

Archived