Caspian restaurant on Abbeydale road

randolf

Went to the Caspian over the weekend.

The food and service were lovely. We shared a load of different starters, which came with amazing flatbreads none of us remember ordering. Everything was delicious, different and exciting. Subtle, aromatic and spiced rather than spicy and not hot.

The main courses were enormous and everything comes with (almost) too much rice. All the dishes were very reasonable, cheap even, but obviously cooked with love and skill. It was really, really good.

Sorry to say that we were the only people in there, so get along and fill it up!

You should definitely order the pickled aubergines to start with.

What kind of cuisine is it please? You've not said.

I assume it's Turkish or Persian given the location of the Caspian sea - but it could equally be Russian or Kazakstani or some other stani I suppose.

It's good to hear they cook with skill - although I'm not sure about the cooking with love bit.

Tell me something...

Is this another one of the many restaurants on that stretch that look scruffy and uninviting from the outside? If so, I probably wouldn't be tempted - even though the food may be good. And if it's empty as well that would be another thing to put me off.

Places like that worry me - makes me wonder how clean the kitchens are and how fresh the food is if it looks like a dump from the outside, smells fusty inside, and you're the only ones eating.

(Not saying this applies to Caspian btw - but am genuinely asking - because it sure applies to a number of others on that stretch).

What kind of cuisine is it please? You've not said.

I assume it's Turkish or Persian given the location of the Caspian sea - but it could equally be Russian or Kazakstani or some other stani I suppose.

It's good to hear they cook with skill - although I'm not sure about the cooking with love bit.

Tell me something...

Is this another one of the many restaurants on that stretch that look scruffy and uninviting from the outside? If so, I probably wouldn't be tempted - even though the food may be good. And if it's empty as well that would be another thing to put me off.

Places like that worry me - makes me wonder how clean the kitchens are and how fresh the food is if it looks like a dump from the outside, smells fusty inside, and you're the only ones eating.

(Not saying this applies to Caspian btw - but am genuinely asking - because it sure applies to a number of others on that stretch).

Persian (or Iranian if you like) cuisine, and quite smart-looking, inside and out.

I much prefer quiet restaurants, as long as they are not so quiet they have to close! I don't understand the concept of 'atmosphere'; I just want good food, no salmonella and efficient service.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived