Forced back to work with a slipped disc

hi i was drilling some 16mm holes for a armco barrier and as i was bent forward my back went crack leaving me in pain , i wasnt able to move much over the weekend i took monday as a sick day and booked in with a private physio , the way i explained my pain and with her feeling my back joints as they were ok , she said its sounds like a bulging disc pressing on my nerve , i told her i was on a 7 day self cert , my manager rung me to say he had booked me in with the company physio for a second opinion (like i was lying or somthing) he confirmed just what the private physio had said and told me to take at least 2 or more weeks off doing the exercises she had given me , now my boss that made me fill in an accident report in said today i must come back to work tomorrow because ill be at my 3 day limit for the hse to get involved and he said if i have had trouble with my back like i did last year with no time off they would be probing into my job and to see if im up to the job , how rediculaus , im being forced back to work with a slipped buldging disc even though the phisio told me not to , my physio said she would write a letter to my doctor so a doctors note would be no probs , im livid about the whole thing and im in agony aswell.:rant::rant:

You don't go back to work for seven days, you can self-certificate for those seven days whether your employer likes it or not.

Before those seven days are up, go and see your GP who will provide a sick note for at least another two weeks beyond that.

In the meantime, if HSE do get involved I'd make a particular point of mentioning to them that your employer told you to go back to work within three days so that they didn't have to deal with HSE.

my boss did a similar thing to me did summat to my back the friday, was in so much pain but was the only one who could do call outs over the weekend i agreed i would try, ended up having our lass drive me around saturday ended up making it worse sunday could not even get out of bed phoned my boss never answered so sent him a message saying i was screwed phoned him monday he kicked off because i left them in te **** monday and i got layed off

for doing them a favour i made my back weak as **** for around a month and i got sack, so i really hope it works out for you

I was self employed and had to continue working, it was painfull, but the pain eventualy eased and now I'm fine.

Treating a slipped disc

It is very important to keep active if you have been diagnosed with a slipped disc. You may find it difficult to move around immediately after experiencing a slipped disc. If you are in severe pain, you may need to rest completely for the first couple of days. However, after this period, you should start to move around as soon as you can. This will keep your back mobile and will speed up your recovery.

its alright saying move around, but there is a difference between making your own food and walking to the shops than jumping in and out of lofts running cables, I never did find out what i did to mine i felt like a trapped nerver and i do get them quite alot, but it lasted for a very long time

They are sadly clamping down on paying out for sickness.

My mate who had a bad back and who had mobility problems had his sickness benefits stopped.

Apparently, after 20 years on the sick he was suddenly fit for work it seemed.

He was seen crossing the finishing line after completing the London Marathon on the TV. One of his neighbours shopped him to the fraud team, not good

its alright saying move around, but there is a difference between making your own food and walking to the shops than jumping in and out of lofts running cables, I never did find out what i did to mine i felt like a trapped nerver and i do get them quite alot, but it lasted for a very long time

Once you have a prolapsed disc the pain is it is likely to keep coming and going, I have lived with mine for about 20 years and I know what will bring the pain on, if I can’t avoid the activity I wear a neoprene back support. I find tens gives the best pain relief but I don’t let it stop me doing what I enjoy and it has never stopped me working although I did have to change careers.

Archived