P C Gone Mad?, Yes or NO.

LOOOOL

tbh i think its more of an anti pc story dreamt up by the papers rather than the gods honest truth

i think most "normal" people would actually find out about any differing cultures they encounter and if shaking hands wasnt acceptable then they wouldnt use it as a greeting

simples

Exactly - its a total non-story - a typical bit of 'PC Gone Mad rubbish' by the lazier elements of the press.

Some silly advice given to a tiny number of people, who can choose to ignore it if they wish - that's it. Nothing to see.

"Cambridge University Dons Told, Don't Shake Hands With Muslim Or Disabled Students. Cambridge University has warned its dons not to shake hands with Muslims or students with disabilities for fear of offending them."

The above taken from The Huffington Post. A step much too far IMHO. What can be wrong with a good old handshake, surely it just promotes friendship and could not be taken for anything else.

Angel.

Utter stupidity.

My partner tried to shake hands with a female muslim student who told him she couldn't shake hands so he didn't-theres no need for a rule.

Sometimes I wish I had that excuse, a sweaty hand shake is grim. Also I have the "strong handshake" taken slightly too literally-the guy nearly broke my hand.

There is no rule.

It was just some advice that in some cases it might not be appropriate.

I agree. Anyway, I rarely feel the need to shake hands, nor did I when I was working in a job that meant meeting lots of people. I can't see a problem with a bit of general guidance which makes anyone aware of other cultures and practices.

''One adviser suggests that if there is any doubt then a smile may be the best alternative.''

And in many situations I couldn't agree more. :)

Archived