P C Gone Mad?, Yes or NO.

It is so funny small issues lead to such debate!

To clarify: In Islam mixing across genders is discouraged and this includes any type of physical contact. so, men and women dont shake hands - this is a norm for many 'practising' muslims and it doesnt really cause any problems if explained.

However as with all people following a faith, adhering to this is down to personal choice... some muslims do it and some dont, Just as some Sikhs wear turbans and some dont, or some jews only eat kosher and some dont.

The fact most Universities respect diversity is a commendable thing and should be respected,

Hope this clarifies things somewhat :)

It is so funny small issues lead to such debate!

To clarify: In Islam mixing across genders is discouraged and this includes any type of physical contact. so, men and women dont shake hands - this is a norm for many 'practising' muslims and it doesnt really cause any problems if explained.

However as with all people following a faith, adhering to this is down to personal choice... some muslims do it and some dont, Just as some Sikhs wear turbans and some dont, or some jews only eat kosher and some dont.

The fact most Universities respect diversity is a commendable thing and should be respected,

Hope this clarifies things somewhat :)

Good post, unfortunately some people refuse to let a simple truth get in the way of a fevered, spit-strewn, vein bulging rant.

LOOOOL

tbh i think its more of an anti pc story dreamt up by the papers rather than the gods honest truth

i think most "normal" people would actually find out about any differing cultures they encounter and if shaking hands wasnt acceptable then they wouldnt use it as a greeting

simples

Perhaps we should press the handshaking aspect - if they come here, they should adapt to our way, not try to perpetuate whatever culture they come from.

A 'PC gone mad' thread. Is it that time oif year already? A patient in a mental institution says we shouldn't have fairies on Christmas trees in case gays get offended. it's PC gone mad, I tell you! A repoprter on the Daily Mail says someone somen said something about banning christmas. it's PC gone mad, I tell you!

Perhaps we should press the handshaking aspect - if they come here, they should adapt to our way, not try to perpetuate whatever culture they come from.

How sad :rolleyes:

The UK is a rich mix of cultures and religions and the vast majority of people get on perfectly well, respecting each other... it really isnt a big mental effort to accept difference is it?

The problem with ''if they come here'' is - many many 'native' English people have chosen to accept islam, including some of my own friends, they are a perfect example of how people can adapt over time and make new choices.. they also choose not to shake hands... yet they are English!

Most English people that face this situation and that are given the simple explanation usually smile, and perhaps say ''oh i didnt know!'' and then continue with whatever it is they were going to do.... iv not yet come across anyone who so desperately wanted to shake the 'muslim hand' that they refused to go forth without doing so!!!, sadly some of the comments on this thread make it sound like violation of sacred law - lets keep it in perpective ey :)

How sad :rolleyes:

The UK is a rich mix of cultures and religions and the vast majority of people get on perfectly well, respecting each other... it really isnt a big mental effort to accept difference is it?

Actually, it is. Let people believe in whatever religious fairy tales they wish, but if it causes them to display bad manners by flaunting long-held British traditions such as methods of greeting, then they’re in the wrong by isolating themselves from the norm.

The problem with ''if they come here'' is - many many 'native' English people have chosen to accept islam, including some of my own friends, they are a perfect example of how people can adapt over time and make new choices.. they also choose not to shake hands... yet they are English!
There will always be a few strange types who, perhaps suffering form identity or confidence issues, do bizarre things like turning to a foreign religion. Some go for Hare Krishna, some Islam, some think David Ike is a god, but they’re all a bit weird and have issues.

Most English people that face this situation and that are given the simple explanation usually smile, and perhaps say ''oh i didnt know!'' and then continue with whatever it is they were going to do.... iv not yet come across anyone who so desperately wanted to shake the 'muslim hand' that they refused to go forth without doing so!!!, sadly some of the comments on this thread make it sound like violation of sacred law - lets keep it in perpective ey :)
If I meet a Muslim in a Muslim country, then it’s on his terms - I’ve travelled and worked in a variety of different Muslim nations. Their terms, their rules – and I’m happy with that. Over here though, they should adapt to our ways or go and live in an Islamic state.

Actually, it is. Let people believe in whatever religious fairy tales they wish, but if it causes them to display bad manners by flaunting long-held British traditions such as methods of greeting, then they’re in the wrong by isolating themselves from the norm.

There will always be a few strange types who, perhaps suffering form identity or confidence issues, do bizarre things like turning to a foreign religion. Some go for Hare Krishna, some Islam, some think David Ike is a god, but they’re all a bit weird and have issues.

:hihi: bad manners?

*sigh* Theres not much point in trying to be intellectual to such ignorance, and i feel for the hundreds of English muslim converts you may have just offended.

- lets take a different example:I come from a family of teachers and doctors, we dont drink; its not part of our religion or culture but in the classroom im free to do what i want (as i teach adults and dont have a curriculum to follow) yet, I have the capacity to understand; perhaps i dont do such things but i will still teach awareness for those who do = respect

Similarly with the doctors in my family that treat the friday night legless 'cases' in hospital - and before you say it - I dont think its a part of ''long- held'' historic British culture to get so drunk you cant move, they dont try and implement their beliefs in the hospital, yet the fact you are sooooo offended that the same doctor who will cure you and send you on your way may not shake you hand ............ :huh: !!!

Archived