Irritating Abbreviations

I recently posted a suggestion in the feedback and suggestions forum. It was stating that irritating abbreviations and deliberate mis-spellings (LieBore, Daily Fail et al / etc) should be banned along with text speak as it's irritating. Evidently, one mod did not agree with me as it never actually got published...

Does anyone else find the use of this sort of abbreviation really irritating? You can be reading an interesting debate on a thread only to find some semi-literate popping up with their "witty" phrases - at which point the threads tend to die a death.

For a well moderated forum it's surprising these phrases are still permitted. Maybe it's just me... :hihi:

I recently posted a suggestion in the feedback and suggestions forum. It was stating that irritating abbreviations and deliberate mis-spellings (LieBore, Daily Fail et al) should be banned along with text speak as it's irritating. Evidently, one mod did not agree with me as it never actually got published...

Does anyone else find the use of this sort of abbreviation really irritating? You can be reading an interesting debate on a thread only to find some semi-literate popping up with their "witty" phrases - at which point the threads tend to die a death.

For a well moderated forum it's surprising these phrases are still permitted. Maybe it's just me... :hihi:

But you've just posted "et al" which is French. Deliberate?

My mistake. But why use it in a thread pulling people up on phrases people don't understand?

Do people not understand it? It's just a more polite acceptable way of saying et cetera. I see it used all the time in various forms. In fact, my email client (Lotus Notes) truncates distribution lists, replacing anything more than 5 addresses with et al!

<<<Does anyone else find the use of this sort of abbreviation really irritating?>>>

No, I don't find it irritating (Daily Fail, Streetfarce, Gruniad.....), but txt spk: yes, as I think for this medium, it shows sloppiness on behalf of the writer.

<<<Does anyone else find the use of this sort of abbreviation really irritating?>>>

No, I don't find it irritating (Daily Fail, Streetfarce, Gruniad.....), but txt spk: yes, as I think for this medium, it shows sloppiness on behalf of the writer.

Errrr..Illiteracy on behalf of the writer...or just laziness

Archived