Irritating Abbreviations

Maybe I just really am a grumpy sod then!

Dunno about that (dunno? Does that count?..lol....eeeek...or lol for that matter).....I must be just as grumpy. Mind you reading some of the posts on here, and the classified ads does make me smile sometimes. Oh and facebook, that's a classic for things shortened and abbreviated. I'm not the most perfect speller on the planet, but people who make no effort at all irritate me intensely. If I don't know how to spell something, I just make my best guess on google and 9 times out of ten it's there! Simples!!!! (who says advertising affects me?)...hahaha

Text speak is supposedly discouraged anyway isn't it although that does seem to depend on the user/mod/forum combination.

Text speak is a no, no on the forum :). Should anyone spot a post containing text speak, please report it to us.

Some users use programs to read out posts for them (partially sighted, blind for example) and these programs do not understand text speak, which makes it impossible for the user to understand the post.

Any abbreviations which are used to swear are also prohibited.

Text speak is a no, no on the forum :). Should anyone spot a post containing text speak, please report it to us.

Some users use programs to read out posts for them (partially sighted, blind for example) and these programs do not understand text speak, which makes it impossible for the user to understand the post.

Any abbreviations which are used to swear are also prohibited.

:hihi::hihi: I have one full time job now thank you

As much as it may pain you, language has always evolved and many of these words are being entered into the english dictionary. It's a bit hit and miss though I suppose. There are 'yoots' on facebook oo tawk lyk dIs no wOt I meen, and yes they probably are just stupid.

However, especially on forums you get in jokes or memes (not so much here but on other forums) that are part of the community. Or it can be used to signify sarcasm or ironing (irony), when a usually well articulated poster starts typeing like a dunce. So I wouldn't be so down on txt speak and the like, It's only teh interwebs <removed>.

(Cue moderation)

One of the oddest things I've seen in a while was yesterday. There was a thread somewhere on here, that talked about that lad in Scotland who got 'ejected' off a train by some helpful gorilla. Someone posted a link to the lads facebook page, which I had a look at. Everything (virtually) on there was typed in a Scots accent...!!!!....His comments, all his friends comments....everything, all in a Scots accent. I was astounded!...Heaven help us if everyone on here started typing as they speak....I'd have to give up and go home!...

One of the oddest things I've seen in a while was yesterday. There was a thread somewhere on here, that talked about that lad in Scotland who got 'ejected' off a train by some helpful gorilla. Someone posted a link to the lads facebook page, which I had a look at. Everything (virtually) on there was typed in a Scots accent...!!!!....His comments, all his friends comments....everything, all in a Scots accent. I was astounded!...Heaven help us if everyone on here started typing as they speak....I'd have to give up and go home!...

It worked for irving welsh and hubert selby junior, some great writers of the last century.

Part of my OH's family all type in Glaswegian and it really is only intelligible if you read it to yourself in a Glaswegian accent (Edinburgh won't do!). Thankfully I've had practice of reading in accents courtesy of several Terry Pratchett books, which include not only Scottish, but also several other accents and things like writing with a 'lithp'.

Part of my OH's family all type in Glaswegian and it really is only intelligible if you read it to yourself in a Glaswegian accent (Edinburgh won't do!). Thankfully I've had practice of reading in accents courtesy of several Terry Pratchett books, which include not only Scottish, but also several other accents and things like writing with a 'lithp'.

hahaha.....funnily enough, I found myself reading that page in a pseudo Scots accent, in order to make it vaguely intelligeable. It was quite a challenge!...But I have to say, it's a new one on me!

Having said that, some of the Chinese 'Pigeon english' adverts on Ebay I've seen are best read in a pseudo Chinese accent. Then they make perfect sense (ish).:hihi::hihi:

Archived