Spread the Word

Time to see how good social media is. Here is the reason why.

My Mum was taken into care as a result of a rare dementia she has, which means she is completely incapable of looking after herself (or being looked after by may Dad). Under the Mental Health Act 2005, Social Services, in NE Lincs, issued a Denial of Liberty Order which meant she was taken into care, whether the family wanted it or not.

But here's the rub...although the State has taken her into care, she has to pay for her care from her life savings. It would be like telling a prisoner that they have to pay for their incarceration from their own, legitimate savings.

Those who know my Dad will know how this infuriated him (and me as well) so he has decided he wants to do something about it.

I've set up a website, for him, called www.save-our-savings.co.uk which is the start of his campaign to get the law changed and make sure the Dilnot commission recommendations are implemented now (and not in 15 years time which has been suggested in the press recently).

I have also made an epetition submission which is being reviewed at present...please spread the word as we all have a vested interest in sorting this out.

Regards

Steve

Steve

I'm very saddened to hear of what your family is going through. I've checked out the website and think the message is clear and makes excellent points. I do think though, that although a good idea, perhaps you are limiting support by concentrating on Tory Marginals, this is going to affect a lot of people everywhere. I wish you every success and will tell others about your work. Please let us know and provide a link to any petitions. Perhaps it would be a good idea to put a draft of a letter on the site, as a model, that others could copy and paste in their details to send to their local MP.

Have you approached Age Concern, or Help the Aged for support and to help you with publicity? Also the local press?

Was there an option to move money to a different account or put in joint/other names to avoid this?

Only a fraudulent one. People who have savings are expected to use those savings to provide for their own keep.

Which, in itself, isn't a wholly bad idea; the government should only pay for those who cannot provide for themselves. The problem is, the government also ends up paying for those who simply choose not to, by spending all their money as fast as they earn it, instead of ever saving any.

Only a fraudulent one. People who have savings are expected to use those savings to provide for their own keep.

Which, in itself, isn't a wholly bad idea; the government should only pay for those who cannot provide for themselves. The problem is, the government also ends up paying for those who simply choose not to, by spending all their money as fast as they earn it, instead of ever saving any.

It's not a wholly bad idea if the move into care is voluntary. The OP's relative has been forced into care. In that scenario if it was possible that the family could have provided care themselves (and avoided having to pay) there is something wrong about forcing their relative into care using the mental health act then forcing the family to pay. That looks like a system that could be abused.

People who have paid into the system should have every right to be looked after at the expense of the state.

My grandad worked for 50 years and died the year after he retired having not had a single sick day off in his life.

Enforcing this care and making them pay for it as well is an affront to the working man and woman.

The OP's relative has been forced into care. In that scenario if it was possible that the family could have provided care themselves ....

...in theory, at least, whenever the family can provide care themselves a Denial of Liberty order should never be issued.

In practice, mistakes get made, we have to admit that. This might be one of them.

Archived