Halfords Ripping off customers?

Halfords have always been way over-priced for things.

I needed a power-distribution block (better than trying to secure multiple wires to the battery terminal)

Halfords - £15.99

Maplin - £3.99

They were the EXACT same make and model.

WOW!!!!!...I'm guessing you don't shop there either!.....lol...So who does?

How do you know what profit they were making in the wiper?..genuine question.. I suspect their overheads will be greater than that of a small parts shop...

Quite honestly, I don't really care what the percentage 'profit' is. It's how much is extracted from my wallett compared to getting them elsewhere that matters most. And yes, I'm sure the overheads are more than that of a small parts shop. But when you compare the Halfords price (wipers) of £30 to that of the small shop £14, one wonders why these 'out of town' shops cause the demise of our local high streets.

It's the same with butchers. The price of meats in supermarkets, as opposed to my local butcher is astounding!!!!....I don't buy meat from anywhere but my 'local' high street butcher, and the shop is always packed out with customers!...lol

I've always believed the "economies of scale" thing.

Guess that's wrong after all?

Forgive me if I'm being a little 'dim'. What do you mean 'economies of scale'?

Do you mean the bigger the shop, the more purchasing 'power' they have, and so they are able to sell cheaper? If that's the case then yes it seems you were wrong!...lol

But not in every instance I will admit!

Forgive me if I'm being a little 'dim'. What do you mean 'economies of scale'?

Do you mean the bigger the shop, the more purchasing 'power' they have, and so they are able to sell cheaper? If that's the case then yes it seems you were wrong!...lol

But not in every instance I will admit!

That is indeed what I meant. Yep, the excuse given when a retailer buys up another competitor usually.

Yes, I was being vaguely flippant. I think it's pretty clear that most shops, especially those with a known name, will charge as much as they can get away with for most things.

That is indeed what I meant. Yep, the excuse given when a retailer buys up another competitor usually.

Yes, I was being vaguely flippant. I think it's pretty clear that most shops, especially those with a known name, will charge as much as they can get away with for most things.

I tell ya. These days you have to be so wary. Even some of the supermarket 'great deals' and BOGOFF's are not what they seem. As has been in the news recently.

Hahaha...reminds me of my youth. I had a brother-in-law who in the 70's insisted on doing the weekly shop on his own in the local town (way before the days of giant Tesco's and Asda, and all the others. He used to spend hours, cris-crossing the town first with a premade list of what he wanted. Then he would go around again, getting a penny or 5 pence, or whatever off the things he wanted. It took forever, but he thought it was worth it to come home and say I' saved a pound or 75p, or whatever.

hahahaha...he did have to buy shoes every fortnight though...(not really)...lol

How do you know what profit they were making in the wiper?..genuine question.. I suspect their overheads will be greater than that of a small parts shop...

Their overheads will, of course, be larger. They have a larger premises.

The margin of profit per item ought to be similar though - Halfords and other larger shops cover their larger overheads by selling more things, because they can fit in more things and more pepole.

In fact, as they buy in bulk, they are possibly getting their wipers from the manufacturer at a lower price than the indepenmdent stores, and thus even if they sold them at the same price they would make more margin.

Archived