Halfords Ripping off customers?

I shop at Halfords frequently.

Guess which brand will still be trading to honour the 3 year warranty offered.

I can get antifreeze from poundland,but it costs me £3 to go and fetch it.

Still half the price of the cheapest one at Halfords, £7.99 for a litre, I bought some last week.

Still half the price of the cheapest one at Halfords, £7.99 for a litre, I bought some last week.

Exactly my point. I noticed the windscreen wash was nearly £12 for (I think) half a gallon, or whatever it is in litres. That's crazy!

Isn't there a compatibility thing with antifreeze?
Yes, the later long life higher corrosion protection types will not mix with others.

It's been made fool proofe though, just match the colour - Blue/yellow/green/red(pink).

Blue's cheap, red's expensive.

I needed some windscreen wipers last weekend. So off I trundle down to Halfords to get some. I needed one long one and one short one, to suit my windscreen. Halfords own brand ones were all they had. The long one wasn't far short of £20, and the short one just over £10. Wow I thought, they're pricey. I was with a friend and he suggested going to a local motorspares shop to see if they were any cheaper.

The shop was run (I think) by asians. A very helpful fella in there asked the make and model of car and the year and produced some Bosch wipers. The long one was £10 and the short one was £4 odd. While I was there I bought some antifreeze, some windscreen wash, and two batteries for my car key fobs, and the lot came to £21

It's highly unlikely I'll be shopping at Halfords again!

Rip off or what?

You would have been better just buying the rubbers and cutting them to size and sliding them in the old wipers that would have cost about a fiver from any motor shop.

Halford used to be rubbish at one time but recently they have had a bit of a shake up,and some of there products are not bad at all there tools are reasonably priced and of good quality they have also recently started selling car paints they are still a bit pricey though.

You would have been better just buying the rubbers and cutting them to size and sliding them in the old wipers that would have cost about a fiver from any motor shop.

As far as I know, they don't 'just' sell the rubbers any more! See earlier posts!

As far as I know, they don't 'just' sell the rubbers any more! See earlier posts!

We do still sell the rubbers, but they are very rarely taken.

I think you drew the short straw on the wipers to be fair, with your car, the majority of wipers are under £20 quid for a set of two...whether you see that as reasonable, I dunno, but that is your choice isn't it :)

Did you look see if there was a set?

I get a lot of people complaining about the prices of some of our stuff, sometimes I can agree with them, but as said previously, I think the conveniance of us being open all day Sundays, and till 8 on weekdays really does help. Also a lot of the customers are caught kinda at a bad time (A popped bulb, dead battery, rubbish wipers) perhaps the company say an opening.

The battery warranty... generally if you keep the receipt, and our test machine says the battery is...naff basically, I've never seen any issues with a replacement. Same with the tools, never really seen an issue with swaps.

However, I can certainly see why some people avoid our prices

Archived