Halfords Ripping off customers?

Best and cheapest place for parts is ebay I needed a water pump for my Shogun I whent every where looking for one here the cheapest and that was trade was £60 got one off ebay for £25 and it was a good one as well makes you wander where they get things from.

Best and cheapest place for parts is ebay I needed a water pump for my Shogun I whent every where looking for one here the cheapest and that was trade was £60 got one off ebay for £25 and it was a good one as well makes you wander where they get things from.

Yes, I've used ebay a few times for bits and bobs (amongst other stuff), and you can get some great deals on there. But sometimes, you just can't wait for ebay deliveries (unless they're local, and you can pick up yourself in person).

I agree, there are some great traders on Ebay for car stuff.

I've been buying Peugeot parts from dealers Perrys Peugeot Ebay store - genuine Pug oil filter with new sump plug for a fiver, including first class postage. Halfords own brand is £6 with £2 for a new washer (if they've got them in).

I'm assuming you work at Halfords Tommo.

I have to admit I didn't actually look or ask for 'just' the rubbers, cos I was under the impression they weren't available nowadays, and I've had previous problems with them slipping out and generally not fitting very well, So I didn't want to go down that route anyway. Besides, the ones I was replacing were a bit corroded on the metalwork and paint was flaking, so I wanted complete wipers.

Yes I think I probably did draw the short straw (pricewise), as they were different lengths. I checked that chart, found my make and model, and it directed me to two separate blades of differing length (correctly). I found these and noted the price was not far short of £30 which IMO I thought was excessive.

You're right about a lot of customers 'being caught at a bad time'. But that's exactly when people are most vulnerable. They've gotta have it, and there's nowhere else open, (especially early evening), and so they just pay, whatever the cost, and I find it's those type of items that are 'shall we say' sold at inflated prices. I know it's simply clever marketing, and it's all part of the cat and mouse game between consumers and sellers.

I'm sure not everything in the store is vastly more expensive than anywhere else. It's all part of the 'game'.

The plain fact is. I went there. Found the product I needed, didn't like the price and went elsewhere and bought (probably better quality) goods from elsewhere for half the price. I 'felt' like the company was trying to rip me off. Others might have other views. But that was how 'I' felt!

Yes I work there lol.

I've always told customers, if there isn't a set available, to measure their wipers and see if we do a set in the correct sizes, as the books are not always correct (Why? I'm not sure) or ask one of the lads to check the system, or ask one of us to measure, I think it would vary with each sales assistant, but I certainly wouldn't mind nipping out with a tape measure with you.

Although, if I was in the same boat, and knew I could save myself a tenner, you'd have to be rich, or a bit silly not too really.

I don't work on the 'Parts' department, I'm on the Audio and tech, but I usually float between the two if I'm free and parts are busy. So can we all be quiet otherwise I might be out of a job if you're all going elsewhere :P

How can the thread title be 'technically' or otherwise construed as libel? If you look, it's a question!!!...(the squiggley bit at the end of the sentence)..

I accept that in general libel only applies to statements of supposed fact. Adding a question mark would, in most cases, tip the scales in favour of the claim being expressed in the form of an opinion, which would then not be actionable.

However, if the question has been framed with the deliberate intent of tarnishing an entity's reputation by intentionally portraying them in a false light, the addition of a question mark is meaningless.

It's a fine line. If I was to start a thread titled "Pete Morris a paedophile?" then I suspect the addition of the question mark would not stop the thread being pulled, or your complaint against me being invalidated. However, "Is Pete Morris a paedophile?" might be acceptable.

Archived