Premium rate txts

I've been helping a friend find out why her O2 mobile phone balance has been reducing.

O2 tell us that the annoying txts she has been receiving are from Mobile Interactive Group and that each txt she has received has cost her money.

Of course she has not given her permission for this "service". She did get a Body Shop discount card recently & gave up her mobile number as part of this. She wasn't told that her money would be taken. Maybe Body Shop is profiting from this scam? The txts advertise Body Shop.

Has anyone else signed up to a "discount" card and found their mobile balance decreasing?

O2 now says it will block future premium rate scam txts. Better late than never I suppose.

Yes there was a code to stop the txts, but she didn't understand how to use this.

Also replying can verify to a scammer that the number is live.

It is sharp practice to take £1.50 for a txt and then say it's up to you to stop this if you can understand how!

I got stung for premium rate texts a while back, I use 118118 a fair bit on my phone, but the first time I used it I didn't realise that after they send you the number you want, you have to send the word "STOP" (without the quotes) or they'll bombard you with expensive premium rate messages.

I got stung for premium rate texts a while back, I use 118118 a fair bit on my phone, but the first time I used it I didn't realise that after they send you the number you want, you have to send the word "STOP" (without the quotes) or they'll bombard you with expensive premium rate messages.

Yes and why should they be able to take your money with no contract or permission from you? Given the state of mobile phone billing it is very hard to know who "they" are. And why should the onus be on you to stop them? Did you get any money back?

Archived