Circuit breaker tripping randomly, any suggestions?

Nagel

Our house was renovated a 18 months ago after being flooded by a burst pipe in the winter of 2009 and a new circuit breaker panel was installed to replace the old fuse box.

Every so often it trips out at random and has to be reset. For instance today it has tripped out three times, but previously it was fine for at least 4 months. There's no particular incident or switch that makes it trip and we're at a loss to know what is going on.

It's the socket circuits and the lights in the cellar which trip and a larger breaker labelled RCD which has to be reset ('residual current device' I think).

We called in the company that did the installation, but they just said modern circuit breakers and residual current devices are very sensitive and this is just something that happens.

So is it 'just something that happens'? I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences and opinions.

microwaves, washing machines , freezers and electronics can all trip rcds if they are a bit sensitive, get the rcd trip tested by a competent electrician and any equipment suspect PAT tested to see what the earth leakage current is. Constant tripping can then also weaken the breaker which makes the situation worse!

There is a fault but it is probably a minor one.When we replaced a trad fuse box with modern CU with RCDs a small fault was identified.Damp conditions do not help.Detecting a small fault is very time-consuming to trace.I would leave it myself as I am a risk-taker.If you are risk-averse then you can hire an electrician to ID the fault and pay him up to 2 days labour for the effort.

Any breaker constantly tripping is a fire hazard. It may eventually fail to trip, and you'll find out very quickly where the smoke is coming from as long as you're not asleep in bed.

Ah, but it's not constantly tripping. It's something that happens very intermittently and we go months and months with nothing happening.

as per post, someone with experience and the right test kit (rcd tester and PAT tester) could find you this fault in a couple of hours i'd bet. anything that plugs in can be unplugged and Pat tested (5 mins max per item) and a couple of hrs spent would prove any rcds and test what they trip at. further investigations might be needed if its an individual circuit that needs a full test but one day at most would see a normal home fully tested if need be. the board could be split up to provide better protection for the circuits affected which dont need to take out the entire board. i assume all electrical equipment that was flooded was discarded and new bought? if so then the earth leakage might be in the wiring itself, or the breaker may now be weak and tripping at less that it should/faster than it should. get a proper electrician in who can sort it.

Our house was renovated a 18 months ago after being flooded by a burst pipe in the winter of 2009 and a new circuit breaker panel was installed to replace the old fuse box.

Every so often it trips out at random and has to be reset. For instance today it has tripped out three times, but previously it was fine for at least 4 months. There's no particular incident or switch that makes it trip and we're at a loss to know what is going on.

It's the socket circuits and the lights in the cellar which trip and a larger breaker labelled RCD which has to be reset ('residual current device' I think).

We called in the company that did the installation, but they just said modern circuit breakers and residual current devices are very sensitive and this is just something that happens.

So is it 'just something that happens'? I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences and opinions.

Do not ignore an RCD tripping it is there for a reason, to protect your installation and most important your lives.

It will take less than 60 seconds to check the Earth Fault Loop Impeadence with the correct equipment.

Please do not ignore it, it could cost you your life.

Archived