Water tower in Norton

John

That water tower was a part of my childhood as I went to Norton Free School for 7 years and it's only 5 mins walk away from there. We got a guided tour up to the top when I was about 9 I think. Funny, I've been past it loads of times recently now I'm back home but never gave any thought to whether it was working or not. I've had a look on google but can't find anything about it.

Never mind.

It still works, serving quite a big area, not just the swimminng pool. There is also a small resevoir underneath. It used to be open to the public one day everyy year. I have been told that on a clear day it is possible to see Lincoln Cathedral.

Norton watertower is still in use (used to live adjacent to it) and is needed because Norton is one of the highest points in Sheffield and therfore they would get no mains pressure.As an aside the pumping station on Warminster road feeds it and this is fed via great big pipes that run up to Chesterfield road near Homebase from near a working mens club (name eludes me) where they go of too gawd knows!!!

Archived