He can't go out to work unless he earns £1500 per month.

Thats silly as their presence as an underclass makes everyone else feel smug and well-off,raising the feel-good factor.I can assure you we would all miss the poor.

That is very true …….. if the lowest social class was lifted to the next level then that level would become the lowest class and we would have more silly reports trying to convince us that kids with mobiles are living below the official poverty line.

If there was full employment it would be terribly bad for the economy and for business....Wages would be higher and exporters would be far less competitive...

I can see that degree was not in business;full employment means more spending so exporting is quite unnecessary due to bouyant domestic demand.Wages would be higher as a global amount but taxes could be cut as fewer on benefit-another plus for firms.I am sorry but you are wrong for once.The extra wages are funded by higher revenue!

I can see that degree was not in business;full employment means more spending so exporting is quite unnecessary due to bouyant domestic demand.Wages would be higher as a global amount but taxes could be cut as fewer on benefit-another plus for firms.I am sorry but you are wrong for once.The extra wages are funded by higher revenue!

Well I read it somewhere, and there's been stuff on here before about it. It would mean higher wages, higher inflation and difficulties this will cause by exports..No doubt some learned economist will be along shortly to educate us...:D

It would however be bad because any business that wished to expand wouldn't be able to hire any staff as full employment means no spare capacity for anyone to hire. It's a nice problem to have though I expect.

A good business is a magnet to skilled labour and will outbid their rivals by improving terms and by recruiting overseas in Spain and Italy where unemployment rates are 40 and 22 per cent respectively,or poach from UK firms.

A good business is a magnet to skilled labour and will outbid their rivals by improving terms and by recruiting overseas in Spain and Italy where unemployment rates are 40 and 22 per cent respectively,or poach from UK firms.

poaching from other UK firms isn't an ideal situation as they won't be able to replace those staff. Full employment (if such a thing were possible) is not a particularly desirable situation. A low level of unemployment, with a rapid turnover for those who are unemployed is ideal, nobody is out of work for the long term and there is a pool of resource available to allow growth.

You're correct that we could hire in from abroad, but given the population pressures we face due to housing shortages that's not really desirable either.

poaching from other UK firms isn't an ideal situation as they won't be able to replace those staff. Full employment (if such a thing were possible) is not a particularly desirable situation. A low level of unemployment, with a rapid turnover for those who are unemployed is ideal, nobody is out of work for the long term and there is a pool of resource available to allow growth.

You're correct that we could hire in from abroad, but given the population pressures we face due to housing shortages that's not really desirable either.

This source thinks full employment would be good for our particular economy at this time, but not in general....

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_full_employment_not_a_good_thing_for_the_economy

To go from where we are to full employment would be an amazing change.

And that source sounds about as authoritative as us, except we aren't in a position to ask them to explain.

That would never happen because as we got close millions more people would arrive on our shores.

Archived