Insurance for dogs

I don't have a dog, so don't know the form.

There's a thread in the Sheffield section about a dog being hit by a car (I hope he makes a full recovery), which has touched on these issues, and I didn't want to send it off topic, so I've started this.

Do most people take out third party insurance in case their dog causes damage to someone else or to their property? My understanding is that people are responsible for the actions of their dogs, so it would seem to be a sensible thing to do. But do many people actually take out insurance to cover them (ie not insurance to cover vet bills), or do they think "It will never happen to me"?

There's little point in the "in case it does harm to someone else" category.

Under the Animals Act, unless the dog is a dangerous dog, or it has a history of biting, there's no damages available to the victim anyway, and in either of those cases, would you as an insurer insure said dog?

There's a thread in the Sheffield section about a dog being hit by a car (I hope he makes a full recovery), which has touched on these issues, and I didn't want to send it off topic, so I've started this.

Do most people take out third party insurance in case their dog causes damage to someone else or to their property? My understanding is that people are responsible for the actions of their dogs, so it would seem to be a sensible thing to do. But do many people actually take out insurance to cover them (ie not insurance to cover vet bills), or do they think "It will never happen to me"?

I insure my dogs for third party 'cos you can guarantee the cyclists riding on the bridal ways won't be insured.

My understanding is that people are responsible for the actions of their dogs, so it would seem to be a sensible thing to do. But do many people actually take out insurance to cover them (ie not insurance to cover vet bills), or do they think "It will never happen to me"?

I would imagine the vast majority fall into the "It will never happen to me" category TBH.

A friend hit a dog on a country lane that ran out infront of him from long grass, smack.. the dog was unfortunately killed instantly. No sign of any owner, but it's not uncommon to allow dogs to roam free in rural areas.

The damage to the car was severe. A few weeks later he spotted a missing add in the paper that fitted the description and had to ring them up to give them the bad news.

On hearing about the circumstances of the accident, their reply was "no worries, he was insured!"

There's little point in the "in case it does harm to someone else" category.

Under the Animals Act, unless the dog is a dangerous dog, or it has a history of biting, there's no damages available to the victim anyway, and in either of those cases, would you as an insurer insure said dog?

I didn't mean intended harm, by the dog attacking. I was thinking in terms of a dog inadvertently causing an accident, typically by running out into the road.

My attitude to insurance tends to be something like this:

If it is compulsory then I buy it - eg motor insurance

If I can comfortably afford to cover the loss then I don't buy it - eg extra insurance in case a small product, such as a radio or kettle, fails

If I cannot afford to cover the potential loss, then I buy insurance - eg third party cycle cover.

If I had a dog, then I would buy third party cover. I just wondered if people who do have dogs actually do the same.

I didn't mean intended harm, by the dog attacking. I was thinking in terms of a dog inadvertently causing an accident, typically by running out into the road.

If I can comfortably afford to cover the loss then I don't buy it - eg extra insurance in case a small product, such as a radio or kettle, fails

If I cannot afford to cover the potential loss, then I buy insurance - eg third party cycle cover.

If I had a dog, then I would buy third party cover. I just wondered if people who do have dogs actually do the same.

Ah sorry my mistake. I agree with you entirely in your thinking. It's the only responsible way to be in my view. If you can afford the risk (eg vet bills) and you're happy to pay them, then fine, no problem, but as you say, if you can't, you insure it.

Most household insurance policies cover you for public liability caused by you or any of your possessions, and in the terms of this description your animals count as one of your possessions, so if you have good household insurance you probably have this sort of cover anyway.

aren't you meant to not swerve if a dog runs out in the road? legally I mean? morally you might but I think it would be down to you if you swerved to miss a dog and hit another car say.

Do you have insurance in case you step out in front of a car?

It seems the sensible thing to do.

Archived