Christopher Hitchens Dies

Death comes to all of us- whichever way it is meant to happen.

As a theist I did listen to Hitchin's debates as I have done with Dawkins or Harris.

I consider these as more militant atheists but none the less, they have every right to believe what they want as I do- even if some of their writings (especially Dawkins) contains no philosophy ( and he tries to be a philosopher) and is usually a rant against religion.

However, whatever Hitchin's believed or felt- that was his choice. He is no longer here and preceded us in death- we too one day will be heading the same path and whatever one believes, let the dead rest.

Death comes to all of us- whichever way it is meant to happen.

As a theist I did listen to Hitchin's debates as I have done with Dawkins or Harris.

I consider these as more militant atheists

Do you not think that's a bit ridiculous? Considering neither have ever advocated violence in the cause of atheism?

Would you describe the various people they have debated with as militant christians/muslims/whatever their religion was?

He made some excellent observations like this one (on Israel, racism, and Zionism) :

During a town hall function in Pennsylvania with Martin Amis, Hitchens stated that "one must not insult or degrade or humiliate people" and that he "would be opposed to this maltreatment of the Palestinians if it took place on a remote island with no geopolitical implications".

Hitchens described Zionism as "an ethno-nationalist quasi-religious ideology" and stated his desire that if possible, he would "re-wind the tape [to] stop Hertzl from telling the initial demagogic lie (actually two lies) that a land without a people needs a people without a land".

http://archive.frontpagemag.com/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=15043

-----

<applauds>

Archived