Man cuts off wife's fingers because she pursued higher education

Human rights groups in Bangladesh have demanded a severe punishment for the husband of a young woman who allegedly cut off most of her right hand.

Police say Rafiqul Islam, 30, attacked her because she pursued higher education without his permission.

They say Mr Islam, a migrant worker, admitted to the crime shortly after returning home from the Gulf.

The incident is one of a number of acts of domestic violence targeting educated women in recent months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16201961

Cue apologists - "it's just a minority" - "don't tar Islam because of this one man" etc etc.

How many of you knew this would be about Muslims just from the title? I did when I read the BBC headline.

Eh? When I read the thread title, I thought nothing of the sort (that it was Islam related). It reminded me of the film 'The Piano' and I was frankly expecting to read about some kind of Educating Rita scenario where some working class Neanderthal in the UK had committed this heinous crime.

I take it that the OP is fully supportive of sexual equality, irrespective of culture and religion?

Cue apologists - "it's just a minority" - "don't tar Islam because of this one man" etc etc.

How many of you knew this would be about Muslims just from the title? I did when I read the BBC headline.

I did not but then I am not as prejudiced as some-I dont think you should make such allegations.Remember what happened to Salmon Rusholme-he had a fat wah set on him.

Before I post, I have to say I am not an apologist lefty.

However, we live in a globalised world and equality comes as part of the package, now many men do not like this.

Men who many people claim are inadequate and so to keep a sense of superiority, these men need to keep women in there place. A woman getting an education is a serious threat to any man.

For those who doubt a womans ability to outwit a man, think about the last time you took your wife into a department store, did she not browbeat you into buying £1000s of things you don't need?

And what about women who are armed with a road map? have to ever tried to argue with a woman who is trying to give directions? she can browbeat her husband into taking a wrong turn and driving through a shopping centre like fargate with a caravan in tow, when the man was trying to find the M1.

Make no mistake, a confident woman is a threat to any weak man, one with an education can leave this kind of man feeling very small and weak.

So I guess that is the reason the man took this action - he felt threatened

I did not but then I am not as prejudiced as some-I dont think you should make such allegations.Remember what happened to Salmon Rusholme-he had a fat wah set on him.

He had a 'fat wah' (sic) set on him?! Did she try and crush him to death? Judging by his glam girlfriends, he likes 'em quite skinny.:hihi:

He had a 'fat wah' (sic) set on him?! Did she try and crush him to death? Judging by his glam girlfriends, he likes 'em quite skinny.:hihi:

Keep your silly comments to yourself.

This is a serious discusion for only the educationally members of the forum

Keep your silly comments to yourself.

This is a serious discusion for only the educationally members of the forum

Educationally members? Do you mean 'educated members'? Ironic that you should be so critical of education, or a lack thereof on this thread. By the way, I am educated to post-graduate level.

Archived