Is the media to blame (in part) for the recession ?

No but they did frighten people into borrowing money by saying if you don’t get onto the property ladder now you never will, and property prices are increasing by 10-20% a year. But that was before 2007 since then I don't think they’ve frightened anyone into spending money.

Spot on. We had no end of media ramping of property, BBC included.

The old adage was that people would buy their best house in their 40s after becoming successful and established. But we had nearly a decade of people not even waiting until they were 30 to get their dream house, courtesy of lax lending and dishonest declarations of income. Now first time buyers are averaging out at 40. Hmmmm.

As for the creation of fear around austerity and cuts the media has overcooked that as well. It has seriously impacted business and consumer confidence IMO

They just can't get it right.

yeah I always wonder about this. If there was no bad news people woudn't have started saving for a rainy day, would have carried on spending. But I suppose that only works on a simple level. If banks stopped lending to buisnesses they might not grow and still have to lay people off.

Plus its all hypthetical, there isn't going to be an economy driven media blackout. maybe even get the news readers to tell us how great everything is, chinese style.

sorry!

i worked out a while ago that the sophisticatedposting bot known as CXC3000 has a line of code that forces it to throw out a non-Israel thread once in ever 139 threads. It won't really partake in said thread though, its just a quota thing. ;)

Lol !

*ahem*

Please stay on topic.

Thank you.

Will do. As you've had lots of on-topic replies, maybe you can show courtesy and actually join in and respond, instead of proving me right..

I've read the responses and I'm finding them very interesting, ID. Also, my POV is given in the OP :)

Do you think it's played a significant part in the economic situation ? - has the news frightened a lot of people in spending money ?

I certainly think it has :mad:

I guess these idiots will do anything as long as their stories sell (no matter how exaggerated and full of hyperbole they may be).

The media has a lot to answer for for all sorts of things, they sensationalise everything.

I guess these idiots will do anything as long as their stories sell (no matter how exaggerated and full of hyperbole they may be).

I'm glad you see it this way to be honest. Especially true of the way the Palestinian situation is reported and sensationalised.

Well done :thumbsup:

Archived