Plans to evacuate Brits from the Eurozone. They can't be serious can they?

Aye, correct. Wish NEW LIEbour had given it some thought before allowing the EU to open our borders to the dross of the EU.

Angel.

I believe it was one of those treaties they signed up to despite not holding the promised referendum.

Britains borders are not as open as other EU countries; the UK didn't sign up to the Schengen agreement, so EU citizens still need a passport to enter the UK.

Britains borders are not as open as other EU countries; the UK didn't sign up to the Schengen agreement, so EU citizens still need a passport to enter the UK.

But as anyone who is a citizen of an EU country can obtain a passport without difficulty that isn't going to stop anyone. What you are saying is anyone entering the UK from an EU country needs to come by sea, air or drive from Ireland unless they can swim.

In 2007, £1 bought €1.47. (Down from the €1.68 it bought a few years earlier, but still not too bad.)

In 2008, £1 bought about €1.20 and the British Press carried lots of doom-laden stories about how expat Brits who had moved to the Eurozone were no longer able to live on their pensions and were flocking back home.

The Pound fell against the Euro, so the Brits couldn't afford to live overseas, so they would have to go back to the UK.

Now the Euro has fallen (slightly) against the Pound. So those expats living on their pensions find that those pensions (paid in Pounds) buy more Euros and they can't afford to live overseas if they get more Euros for their money, so they will have to go back to the UK.

If the Euro should fail completely, those Countries which use it won't stop using money. They will withdraw and re-introduce their own currencies. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that some countries have already printed supplies of the new currency they intend to use. - Just in case.

Moving into the Euro wasn't too difficult - Each country knew how much of its existing currency it had to convert and there were agreed conversion rates. Moving out would be more difficult, but hardly impossible.

Here's a suggested scenario: (I'm making this up, but it would probably work.)

Consider Germany. - A wealthy country with a comparatively sound economy.

When Germany moved into the Euro, the exchange rate was (AFAIR) 2DM = 1 Euro.

The German government would need two exchange rates should they wish to Introduce 'New Deutsche Marks' . A fixed rate to allow Germans, Companies operating in Gewrmany and account holders with German accounts to convert their money into New DM and a 'market' rate for other Euro conversions.

The German government know how much money there is in German Bank Accounts, how much cash Companies hold and (presumably) they know how much money there is in circulation in the country.

First they would set a fixed local conversion rate to the new currency (let's assume 1 Euro bought 1 New DM.) Then they set a date for the introduction of the New DM.

At midnight on that date, all bank accounts and in Germany would be re-denominated in New DM. If, when you went to bed, you had a German Bank Account (including a savings account) with a balance of €5,000 when you woke up the following morning you would have a bank account with a balance of 5,000 New DM.

Most countries are relatively 'Cashless' - most people keep their money in bank accounts and either pay with debit cards or draw cash out as they need it. Few people (law-abiding people ;)) have vast sums of cash. The government could allow each individual to exchange (say) up to €1000 into New DM at the 'fixed' rate. (Those with large cash holdings who were unable to explain why they were holding large amounts of cash would lose out.) That shouldn't be a problem. Jeans shrink in the wash and there's no reason why illegally-held money shouldn't shrink when it's being laundered.:hihi:

The German Banking system might shut down for 3 days - But then again, retail outlets and businesses often close for 3 days in Germany (during 3-day weekends) and the economy survives.

Germany would have withdrawn from the Euro. German citizens and residents, together with companies operating in Germany would not lose out.

There would be losers - notably non-Eurozone countries and entities which held large Euro currency balances.

There would also be winners. Those countries/companies which had large asset and investment holdings in Germany would benefit by being able to convert those cash assets into New DM at the fixed rate.

Non-German entities would have to convert their Euros to New DM at the market rate ... which might be 1 Euro = 50 New Pfennig - or even less.

Consider one of the Eurozone countries with a weak economy: If the government of that country was to allow its citizens, account holders and companies to convert their Euros into the new currency at a preferential rate, then the market value of the new currency would fall through the floor.

I still don't see why Brits who migrated to a Eurozone country would need to be repatriated.

(NB - Mods please note - Please ignore the 'links' in this post. I didn't put them there - the Forum software (or its interpretation here) appears to be inserting 'links' into my posts.)

They ditched this country for the sun they come running back for the NHS and now they want bailing out again ……….. only in the UK could this happen.

I assume you are being true to your signature (I may talk a load of rubbish but at least it’s my rubbish) when you come out with guff like the above statement.

I assume you are being true to your signature (I may talk a load of rubbish but at least it’s my rubbish) when you come out with guff like the above statement.

Are you going to enlighten us or is that it ……… which part of what I said was rubbish.

Ps

My sig refers to those that post reams of cut and paste jobs, rather than their own opinion …….. so go on then give us your opinion.

Archived