Have you had your central heating on yet?

just was interested to know if anyone has still had their heating off because of the costs involved in running it. myself i have manged so far to keep it off, i have a temperature gauge and it been down as low as 8c in the living room. but i find that woolly hats and gloves keep the worst of it out. its a question of heating or eating at the minute, so eating wins!

I budget for my winter bills all through the months I dont use the central heating and being over pensionable age I get the winter fuel allowance which all pensioners get £200 is a massive help with the winter gas bill. We all have a choice how we spend our fuel allowance mine is for heating and I still manage to eat.

I always have it on now whenever it's frosty / snowing or temp dropping enough to freeze pipes as ultimately that will cost me more money than running central heating. I only put it on low (15) but I'm sure that our thermostat is dodgy as the radiators are always boiling when you touch them.

I have a throw / blanket to snuggle into when watching TV and have a hot waterbottle for bedtime :love:

I never turn mine off ... if it drops below the set temp it comes on winter or summer, simple as that! Why would you keep turning it on and off, it is more expensive to keep turning it on and off?

so thats where i'm going wrong.i am always turning it on and off.

no wonder the Winter Fuel Payment doesnt cover it.

just was interested to know if anyone has still had their heating off because of the costs involved in running it. myself i have manged so far to keep it off, i have a temperature gauge and it been down as low as 8c in the living room. but i find that woolly hats and gloves keep the worst of it out. its a question of heating or eating at the minute, so eating wins!

I thought you would be occupying the cathedral rain sleet or shine :cool:

Yep it's on in the morning for when I get up then for a short time at about midday and again for a short time in the early evening (my OH is home much of the time and I worry about the dog being cold, sad I know) then the rest of the evening we use the stove in the living room - it's cheaper and nicer I think.

We've had ours on since mid November, but last week we cranked it up from 30 mins morning & evening to 45 mins morning and a whole hour in the evening.

We used to get enough heat through the walls from the neighbours to keep a bit of heat in the house but I think they must have cut back too.

Lowest temperature in the house was a couple of days ago, 9.7 degrees C. At that temperature the heating goes on for a little boost.

Archived