Can you read upside down?

How well can you read something if the piece of paper it is written on is upside down? I don't mean stood on your head, or with writing face down - just get a book, newspaper, ipad or takeaway menu and turn it round so the writing starts at the bottom.

I seem to be able to read at almost 'full speed' upside down, unless its messy handwriting - I'd say about 90% speed compared to the right way up.

I thought everyone could do it, but I have noticed that some people don't seem to be able to- either stumbling over words like a 5 year old, missing them out, or just getting the words completely wrong. Are they just thick? :)

How well can you read something if the piece of paper it is written on is upside down? I don't mean stood on your head, or with writing face down - just get a book, newspaper, ipad or takeaway menu and turn it round so the writing starts at the bottom.

I seem to be able to read at almost 'full speed' upside down, unless its messy handwriting - I'd say about 90% speed compared to the right way up.

I thought everyone could do it, but I have noticed that some people don't seem to be able to- either stumbling over words like a 5 year old, missing them out, or just getting the words completely wrong. Are they just thick? :)

Does this not correspond to being right or left handed, something to do with brain hemispheres?

Does this not correspond to being right or left handed, something to do with brain hemispheres?

I think it's just down to practice - and very little practice, at that. Most people could master the art of reading upside down in fifteen minutes, if they were ever daft enough to sit down and try.

Writing upside down, I don't know. I never practiced signing my name upside down, it just came naturally, but I don't think I could write anything much else that way and have it come out as legible.

A bit of an aside. For a few weeks, up until a couple of weeks ago, there was a billboard advert for Vodafone at a junction I pass on the way to work, in Leeds. The advert was upside down. I didn’t actually read what it said, but I thought it was potentially dangerous as it attracted the eye (the main requirement of an advert), and you are drawn to try and read it. But because it is much harder to read than “normal” writing, it becomes a distraction. I’m glad its gone.

Archived