Favourite western film

grinder

I was raised on American westerns in the '40s & '50s initially at the cinema and later on television. Although I probably enjoyed them at the time, on reflection most of them were pure dross. The western film that stands out for me is 'Soldier Blue'. 1970. It provided a radical and realistic view of the US cavalry, not as heroes riding to the rescue but as blood crazed maniacs slaughtering a defenceless Indian tribe.

Although more of musicals in a western setting I also enjoyed 'Annie get your gun' with Betty Hutton & Howard Keel.1950. Music and lyrics by Irving Berlin.

and the 1953 follow up 'Calamity Jane' starring Doris Day.

Calamity Jane is my favorite Doris Day film, Howard Keel was Bill Hickok in that. but my favorite western musical, in which he starred, was " Seven brides for seven brothers "..

"Soldier Blue" was a good film but Dustin Hoffman in "Little big man" really brought it home to me...

Maybe it was because I'd read the book first.

Once Upon a Time in the West........Awesome

I agree, this was an awesome film. Sergio Leone's vision of the American west was on a par with the late Great John Ford. As to my own favorite Western film, there are too many great films to choose from. I just love all good Westerns.

I loved watching John Wayne in John Ford westerns, to me he personified a man's man in an unforgiving land where the Red man and pioneer's struggled against all the odds to survive. Be they Cavalry or cowboys, ranchers, settlers, outlaws, Indians or townsfolk they all battled against a savage land that promised so much to so many, but gave up so little.

I liked the idea that John Ford used the same set of charactor actors along side of John Wayne in his films, especially his Cavalry Trilogy, "Fort Apache", "Rio Grande" and "She wore a yellow ribbon".

Clint Eastwood adapted the same principal for his Westerns and used a similar set of charactor actors. This to me made them more enjoyable because you could certainly empathise with them. WOW,:loopy: getting heavy now. Time to shut up and watch a Cowby film .........

the wild bunch went to see it at abc in sheff and then thereslegends john wayne burt lancaster and clint eastwood

The Wild Bunch was a great film set right at the end of the wild west era using actors (Robert Ryan, William Holden, Ernest Borgnine) at the end of their film careers.

In my opinion it was spoilt by the slow motion blood letting. I'm not against realism but this was over the top.

Any Western film is my favorite. I think the last of the classic Western films was 'Rio Bravo'.

A more recent film with Robert Redford was 'Jeremiah Johnson'. A story of a ex sailor going into the Rocky Mountains and becoming a mountain man, that is a fur trapper. The scene where he's starving to death in an alien environment and trying to catch fish with his bare hands in a mountain stream, he, glancing up and seeing this Indian watching him with contempt is a classic.

Archived