Favourite western film

grinder

It's scary looking back over the comments to realize the average age of the great westerns that have been mentioned is about 40 years.

"Dances with wolves" which I think of as a pretty modern one is 20+ years old and the newest one is a remake of "True grit".

I agree, this was an awesome film. Sergio Leone's vision of the American west was on a par with the late Great John Ford. As to my own favorite Western film, there are too many great films to choose from. I just love all good Westerns.

I loved watching John Wayne in John Ford westerns, to me he personified a man's man in an unforgiving land where the Red man and pioneer's struggled against all the odds to survive. Be they Cavalry or cowboys, ranchers, settlers, outlaws, Indians or townsfolk they all battled against a savage land that promised so much to so many, but gave up so little.

I liked the idea that John Ford used the same set of charactor actors along side of John Wayne in his films, especially his Cavalry Trilogy, "Fort Apache", "Rio Grande" and "She wore a yellow ribbon".

Clint Eastwood adapted the same principal for his Westerns and used a similar set of charactor actors. This to me made them more enjoyable because you could certainly empathise with them. WOW,:loopy: getting heavy now. Time to shut up and watch a Cowby film .........

Yes. I think the Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman was also a refreshing slant on traditional western films. Not a speck of glorification anywhere and the clear message that life in the wild west was harsh, mean, callous and mostly unfair to most people. I can't remember a happy moment in that film but I really felt as though I'd had an experience after I watched it. I'm not sure if it counts as a western but have you ever seen Dead Man? It's set in the wild west anyway and is one of the strangest films I've ever seen

Burt Lancaster made some good westerns as well, "The Scalphunters" with Telly Savalas and Shelly Winters, is one that comes to mind.
Too true!.............one of Burts best was "Apache" with Jean Peters.

But for me the best western has to be "The Long Riders".........totally unsurpassed.

Yes, he was rumoured to be a man's man.
Yep pardner!..............the old casting couch was in operation for men as well as women I guess!. Randolph and Burt were also in the rumour circle at one time.............guess you had to watch your chaps didn't get chapped!

Doe's it really matter mossdog ?

Acting it's self is all about telling a convincing lie, you don't think they actually shot each other do you...?

If you listened to some talk, they were all addicts of one kind or another, it sells papers, but whether they were or not, looking back my life would have been poorer without them ...

In those days pre TV, going to the Flicks was the highlight of the week ...

Archived