Anyone remember the hill behind Jepson Road? Where Concord School is?

samsmum

just reading the thread about the bolehills and the sledging the kids did on there, and it reminded me of when we lived on jepson road.

before concord school was built, it was a huge hill that started at the tennis courts at hinde house lower school, and ended in the gully at the top of fife street.

when it snowed, it was the most amazing sledge run!!

there was some dodgy stuff in drums in the open space at the top of fife street, but the trees/bushes at the bottom of the field stopped you skidding into them!

anyone remember it??

i lived on jepson road from about 1973 til about 1983.......our house backed onto the middle of that hill....

Iremember it well. I went to Hinde House school and it was a good sledge run down the hill! at the bottom it used to stage the kids fights in the breaks between lessons cos it was out of sight of the teachers.It was also a short cut to the chippy on Fife st

• 1 year later...

Going back to the 1930's, my recollection is of sledging down Wincobank Hill from the very top. I was born on the Flower Estate where I lived until we were bombed out, and experienced most of the sledging round that area. Weren't we lucky. Last time I was up that way everywhere seemed to have been bulldozed. And Wincobank hill is completely overgrown so there won't be much sledging done there. Happy days!! In my childhood days we could go all the way from the searchlight stand right down as far as Sammies Gutter. Any relation Samsmum?

Remember it well indeed, although couldn't afford a sledge. Used an old metal tray instead. I also recall where the snow drifted against the banks about half way down burrowing into the snow and creating a sort of igloo. Aaaa SNOW it wer brilliant.

Archived