Nice place to live. Woodhouse

Steptoe

whats the shops and pubs like. :)

For shops you have the large co-op supermarket at the top of the village, sells pretty much everything you could want for day to day essentials, also houses the village post office, you can easily manage your main shop from here if you dont drive. At the other end of the village you have the costcutter, has lots of offers on and again sells the esentials, although i wouldn't use it for the main shop. Other shops include a Jack Fultons in the square, a nice butchers, a fruit shop, 3 chemists, a little bakery thats been there as long as i can remember, opticians, Lloyds bank, Ladbrokes.

There are also several other shops and a fair few takeaways, chinese, pizza, curry house, fish and chips etc.

For pubs you have the Royal, George and Stag in the village, typical local pubs, have their rough clientel and also the regulars who are okay, personally i generally stick to the Royal, the locals all seem to know each other, cant say i've ever seen any violence or anything in the pubs, bit of dodgyness but easy to keep yourself out of that.

On the edge of the village you also have the Angel, not been in for a while, used to be the best of the pubs but went downhill and suffered from several changes in landlords, personally i think it suffers being a bit further out, but again it has its locals.

There is a large medical centre on the edge of the village, with dentist, lots of doctors and its own chemist.

Schools, if that is of interest, there is woodhouse west and brunswick for primary nearby, and city is the local secondary (also handsworth grange and aston not that far away). Been a few years since i attended these schools, but i did go to Woodhouse west and City and they were decent when i went, cant comment on their very recent history though.

As i've said before there are much worse places to live, don't listen to the clowns on this thread who have nothing constructive to say. Visit the area, as i mentioned i've lived around here for 25 years and truly never had anything bad happen.

I've lived on Badger for nearly 40 years (before the bus went up to the village, you had to walk then) the houses are spacious family homes, the best bus service in the city (52). Everythiing you you want is in Woodhouse with Crystal Peaks not far away. There are problems occassionally, but where in the city is without the odd problem. Come here you will be made very welcome,

For pubs you have the Royal, George and Stag in the village, typical local pubs, have their rough clientel and also the regulars who are okay, personally i generally stick to the Royal, the locals all seem to know each other, cant say i've ever seen any violence or anything in the pubs, bit of dodgyness but easy to keep yourself out of that.

On the edge of the village you also have the Angel, not been in for a while, used to be the best of the pubs but went downhill and suffered from several changes in landlords, personally i think it suffers being a bit further out, but again it has its locals.

i always prefer the angel, been in there the past two times ive been out in woodhouse and thoroughly enjoyed it by times.

always loved the food in the angel too, infact only last night we had a buffett for a wake after my dads funeral and it was excellent, even blocked off part of the pub for us so we wouldnt get disturbed by the regulars.

ive even walked up from the badger to the angel cos i prefer it, also used to like the princess royal down the mill but not been in there for decades

ive been around woodhouse, beighton loads the past couple of weeks and was amazed where the 52 runs these days lol its all over the place

i remember the 52 down the badger and the 23/32 up and down the village / woodhouse mill

then later the 93

now theres way too many buses it consuzzles me lol

123, 30, 25, 25a, 52

same numbers are run by different companies and have different times, still not 100% where they all go lol

52 first goes down badger, woodhouse mill, handsworth like always.

52 stagecoach, same but continues up through village before going back down woodhosue mill. and goes out to hillsborough after town

30 hallamshire hospital - town, woodhouse on to crystal peaks.

123 walkley, town, woodhouse, crystal peaks.

25 and 25a are pretty much the same route, woodhouse - town -bradway

22 replaced the 93, woodhouse town and i think netheredge.

I've not been in for a while either. Last time the landlord was serving in his vest.

I lived & grew up there (age 29 now) - I loved every minute but now when I return it scares me! There does seem to be alot of strange people around & the pubs at night are full of twits.

Saying that though my brother in law lives on the Stradbrook estate & is more than happy with the area. Think car crime is a big problem but where isnt these days?

52 first goes down badger, woodhouse mill, handsworth like always.

52 stagecoach, same but continues up through village before going back down woodhosue mill. and goes out to hillsborough after town

thats what i said about same bus number different companies :suspect: confusing or what?

yeah i was shocked to see the 52 down the mill lol

2 different sets of those too aint there?

22 replaced the 93, woodhouse town and i think netheredge.

hmmm never seen that un?? :huh:

2 different sets of those too aint there?

:

I believe the 30 is run as a first bus during the day, then at night/ weekends i think its TM Travel, it happened to a few routes a couple of years ago, they don't want to run the "off peak" service, guess its not profitable enough.

I lived & grew up there (age 29 now) - I loved every minute but now when I return it scares me! There does seem to be alot of strange people around & the pubs at night are full of twits.

Saying that though my brother in law lives on the Stradbrook estate & is more than happy with the area. Think car crime is a big problem but where isnt these days?

I have heard a few stories of people on stradbroke having their car windows put through, happened a couple of times, loads of cars done at once, but other than that i dont think stradbroke is too bad.

I must admit i rarely go in the pubs at night, the few times i've been its usually the same people from the afternoon/evening, but several pints drunker.

tut

2 people mention bad things and it makes you think its the worst place on the planet?

its like everywhere theres scum EVERYWHERE these days that will steal absolutely anything at any time, id still say woodhouse is 99% safer than most other places these days

I'm not just going on what other people say, I saw it with my own eyes as we went round at different times of the day/night and I didn't like it personally.

Archived