Who doesn't work at Christmas these days?

I've spent all my working life in retail and distribution, therefore i've always been busy at christmas. Out and about yesterday, I couldn't help but notice how quiet the rush hour seemed to be now it's the last week before christmas. Yet every person I know seems to be working flat out in service industries etc. So what kind of businesses still manage to shut down at christmas? And do people go unpaid for two weeks?

It's a very quiet time for some businesses so they choose to have their staff holidays over Christmas, effectively shut down the business for two weeks & force most or all of the staff to take some of their holidays then. The staff still get paid, they just use some holiday time.

Not everybody works in service industries & some service industries (like those that provide business services) can be quiet too.

People in office jobs & some types of manufacturing tend to get Christmas holidays.

plus it's always quieter when the schools are closed

some firms close over Christmas and give the staff an extra couple of days paid holiday, some close and make the staff take it out of their annual holiday entitlement, and some, like us, keep the office open but most people take it as holiday anyway - last year it was just me and the goldfish on one day and I think she did more work than me

I think most 'engineering' type firms close for around 10 days at Christmas. At least the company I work for does. Yes I think we have to save a couple of days or so, from our annual holiday entitlement to use for that break. Traffic was amazingly light both yesterday and today coming into work, but it was completely the opposite on the way home. It was a nightmare. As I work circa 'meadowhall' I think it was possibly traffic either coming out of, or going to Meadowhall that caused the snarl-up last night.

I think the students finished on Friday - so that's probably why its a bit quiter out and about. Retail staff do draw a short straw at Christmas, but so do some public sector staff such as nurses and doctors, and others who work in the emergency services.

Merry Christmas to all those working over the holiday - well done and thank you folks. :thumbsup:.

Traffic was amazingly light both yesterday and today coming into work, but it was completely the opposite on the way home. It was a nightmare. As I work circa 'meadowhall' I think it was possibly traffic either coming out of, or going to Meadowhall that caused the snarl-up last night.
I work circa 'meadowhall' too, and can tell you it was both.

It always does in the last week before Xmas, it'll be the same tonight.

I've saved up my hols (more a case of I've been too busy to take much hols :D), so am off on 23rd and will only be in on 28th, until 2012. Biz (B2B) will be open as usual, but not on hols/stat days.

Was late setting off this morning (08:40-ish), but it still only took me 20 mins from Worksop :oAnd traffic was so light I didn't even feel like speeding :D

Archived