St Philips church

CathS

Is there anyway to find info about burials?

I've been told my ancestor was buried there in 1860, Thomas Holmshaw, and would love a photo of the headstone but i know the church is not there anymore. Are the headstones somewhere else?

Thanks!

Is there anyway to find info about burials?

I've been told my ancestor was buried there in 1860, Thomas Holmshaw, and would love a photo of the headstone but i know the church is not there anymore. Are the headstones somewhere else?

Thanks!

You could try this.

http://www.friendsofwardsendcemetery.btck.co.uk/

There is a Thomas Holmshaw aged 30, who died on 20th June 1860 and lived on Infirmary Road.

I have a copy of the burial transcriptions up to about 1905. If you contact George at the 'Friends' website, he may be able to help you with a photograph.

Hi Kelvinlad, you wouldnt know of George and Elizabeth Whartons whereabouts would you,they are my great grandparents.?

thanks. Brian:help:

Hi Kelvinlad, you wouldnt know of George and Elizabeth Whartons whereabouts would you,they are my great grandparents.?

This site might help -http://sheffieldindexers.com/BurialIndex.html

You will need a little more information than you provided. This site is the best local site for transcribed records.

In June 1857 the St Philip's churchyard was closed to burials (apart from limited exceptions in existing family plots). At the same time Wardsend cemetery was opened.

I have a partial listing of grave references in Wardsend Cemetery, which shows the following three burials in grave Q36:

HOLMSHAW Thomas 20 Jun 1860 Infirmary Rd 30y Q36

FRITH Fanny 20 Aug 1876 Shepherd St 9w da George Q36

SIDDALL Arabella 25 Mar 1895 4ct Doncaster St 1+ da John Henry Q36

[name/date of burial/address or place where dath occurred/age/description/grave]

I don't know if these people are related or if this is a public grave. I don't think there is a gravestone.

There are plans showing the arrangement of the sections on the Indexers site.

Hugh

I can only see an Elizabeth in the burials up to 1905. She is buried in grave E227:

ROBERTS Sarah Ann 30 Dec 1857 Bowling Green St 11m da James E227

PINDER William 25 Jun 1873 Crookesmoor Rd 60y E227

DANCE Mary 27 May 1893 Langsett Rd 39 wi John E 227

WHARTON Robert Easton 29 Jan 1894 Ct 4 Adelphi St 27y E227

WHARTON Elizabeth 17 Mar 1897 21 Martin St 55y E227

Again, I don't think there is gravestone. If this is the right family, perhaps George died after 1905?

Hugh

I can only see an Elizabeth in the burials up to 1905. She is buried in grave E227:

ROBERTS Sarah Ann 30 Dec 1857 Bowling Green St 11m da James E227

PINDER William 25 Jun 1873 Crookesmoor Rd 60y E227

DANCE Mary 27 May 1893 Langsett Rd 39 wi John E 227

WHARTON Robert Easton 29 Jan 1894 Ct 4 Adelphi St 27y E227

WHARTON Elizabeth 17 Mar 1897 21 Martin St 55y E227

Again, I don't think there is gravestone. If this is the right family, perhaps George died after 1905?

Hugh

Thanks for that HughW, not the right one but maybe still family when I get further down the line.....

Archived