AutoTrader Rant

I'm attempting to sell my car, and for some reason I decided to use AutoTrader as they seemed like the place most people go to search for a car.

Having paid £40 to list my car on their website so far I've received nothing but Nigerian businessmen, people wanting to pay me twice the value of the car through Western Union and other idiotic stuff.

An example email I got was:

Hello,

Thanks for the response again,i really appreciate that you want to sell the car to me and i am satisfy with the details you just sent to me regards the car.

I will make make arrangement on how to send the bank draft to you so that i can take the possession of the car once the draft has cleared in your bank.

These are the details that would be needed in order to send the draft to you:

FULL NAME:

POSTAL ADDRESS:

MOBILE PHONE #:

LAND PHONE #:

However, i will instruct my business associate to send you a draft of £4000 to you which will cover the price of the car and the shipping cost.

Once the draft is fully cleared in your bank, you deduct the price of the vehicle which is £1600 and send the remaining money to the shipping company through western union around you.

Never mind the charges that the western union will charge you because i have been told before that you are going to be charged for the service,just deduct the charges from the shipping cost and refer the remainder of the money to the shipping company.

The shipping company will come along with a letter from me and proof of their identity i:e international passport and drivers license.

kindly mail me today to let me know if the vehicle is SOLD to me -

Thanks for selling to me.

Cheers.

This was the 17th email of its kind, first appearing to be interested and then descending into the same old *****e...

Has anyone got a refund from them, simply because all they do is appear to encourage scams?

How is it autotrader's fault..? Genuine question..

eBay had a problem with scammers and they largely managed to fix it by monitoring communications and protecting sellers and buyers alike.

Autotrader seem to have none of that.

eBay had a problem with scammers and they largely managed to fix it by monitoring communications and protecting sellers and buyers alike.

Autotrader seem to have none of that.

...Autotrader doesn't have members as such..anyone can reply to ads without a logon etc...if you prefer the Ebay system then why not use them?

I'm attempting to sell my car, and for some reason I decided to use AutoTrader as they seemed like the place most people go to search for a car.

Having paid £40 to list my car on their website so far I've received nothing but Nigerian businessmen, people wanting to pay me twice the value of the car through Western Union and other idiotic stuff.

An example email I got was:

Hello,

Thanks for the response again,i really appreciate that you want to sell the car to me and i am satisfy with the details you just sent to me regards the car.

I will make make arrangement on how to send the bank draft to you so that i can take the possession of the car once the draft has cleared in your bank.

These are the details that would be needed in order to send the draft to you:

FULL NAME:

POSTAL ADDRESS:

MOBILE PHONE #:

LAND PHONE #:

However, i will instruct my business associate to send you a draft of £4000 to you which will cover the price of the car and the shipping cost.

Once the draft is fully cleared in your bank, you deduct the price of the vehicle which is £1600 and send the remaining money to the shipping company through western union around you.

Never mind the charges that the western union will charge you because i have been told before that you are going to be charged for the service,just deduct the charges from the shipping cost and refer the remainder of the money to the shipping company.

The shipping company will come along with a letter from me and proof of their identity i:e international passport and drivers license.

kindly mail me today to let me know if the vehicle is SOLD to me -

Thanks for selling to me.

Cheers.

This was the 17th email of its kind, first appearing to be interested and then descending into the same old *****e...

Has anyone got a refund from them, simply because all they do is appear to encourage scams?

Call me thick if you like, but it all seems gobbledegook to me anyway. Even if it 'was' genuine!

How annoying to get so many of them!!!!...I bet they have all originated from the same room somewhere in Nigeria, or god knows where!

I never put my email on my Autotrader adverts.

You don't, they contact you via the messaging system on Autotrader and once they've supposedly vetted the enquiry they forward it you on.

Only they don't do any vetting, so I might as well have put it on Gumtree instead of paying the fee for the supposedly better service.

Archived