Suarez- guilty as charged

ChrisT70

In Uruguay they go around calling people little black boys?

In Sheffield they go around calling each other love, but it doesn't make Sheffield a hotbed of rampant homosexual orgies.

If what we're hearing is true, then the literal definition of the word is not even relevant. Most terms of affection have extremely questionable definitions if you try to take them literally.

This is England not Uruguay.

In England, the word doesn't mean anything at all. It's not even a word. Does "speaking gibberish" appear in the FA statutes as a punishable charge?

Suarez is mixed race from an ethnic minority so I'm not sure how what he said can be construed as racist.

This is what Gus poyet said about that word:

"In Uruguay it is a nickname for someone whose skin is darker than the rest," he explains. "It is not offensive. Such people are part of our society. We will defend them, go to war with them, share everything with them, and at the same time use that word. But I do understand that in England the word is used differently, so we have to pay attention how we use it. We need to adapt. Do we as foreigners need to adapt more to England than England to us? Yes, of course. That's common sense. I know things Luis Suarez does not know because I have been here 14 years. So let's use common sense and give the kid a chance."

mixed races i've usually found to be the most vocal and racist of them all "chip on their shoulder"syndrome......bit like the most famous racist of the lot, muhammad ali and is racist jibes on , george frazier calling him a gorrila and uncle tom,when that was happening everybody thought it was hilarious ,yet poor old joe really suffered in private

If I'd never heard that word before and someone used it, I'd certainly think it was of racist intent... Wikipedia would appear to agree.

Have we got the translation to French for Evra?

What does the word mean in Uruguay ?

Its been confirmed by other Uruguay players that the term is clearly not an insult. Friends call other friends 'negrito'. In the footage I've seen of the match Suarez tries to give Evra a cuddle, Evra insulted by a perceived use of racist language, pushes Suarez away.

I dont care what wikipedia says either (wikipedia are clearly referring the origins of the word not its use in everyday language.). I'd much rather believe the testimonials of other players and the history of Suarez as a campaigner against racism in football.

Also, Evra isnt English hes French, Suarez is south American. So the fact we are in England doesnt have much bearing on the situation. Evra insulted Suarez back in Spanish!

He shouldnt have been sanctioned, simple as that, he made a mistake because the F.A are real touchy about any ambiguous terms, but is now fighting to clear his name.

It is a difficult one though. People can be insulted by all sorts of things. As someone else said you call someone 'love' and they appreciate it. You call another person the same thing and they take offense. I would say if the intention behind the word is right, then its simply a mistake.

Well there you have it then. If you want to abuse someone, translate it into a different languge first, then it's acceptable.

Good point. Well made.

I don't buy this whole word of affection in Uruguay. Where are you getting this from?

This is what Gus poyet (former Uruguay international) said about that word:

"In Uruguay it is a nickname for someone whose skin is darker than the rest," he explains. "It is not offensive. Such people are part of our society. We will defend them, go to war with them, share everything with them, and at the same time use that word. But I do understand that in England the word is used differently, so we have to pay attention how we use it. We need to adapt. Do we as foreigners need to adapt more to England than England to us? Yes, of course. That's common sense. I know things Luis Suarez does not know because I have been here 14 years. So let's use common sense and give the kid a chance."

I'm sorry but this talk of it being a term of endearment is rubbish. it was the biggest derby of the season, Liverpool and Utd, the fans hate each other, the atmposphere is hostile and the action frantic. and we are being asked to believe that suarez repeatedly called a short black player from the opposition team his version of "duck" or "mate" or "love" as opposed to the actual definition of "negrito"? :loopy:

I'm with the FA on this one, its clearly what it was, and hes been rightly punished.

Given Suarez's known nature and the fact hes been disciplined before and is facing a second charge for gesticulating at fans in a different match here, i wont be having any wool pulled over my eyes.

If it was a genuine mistake (:hihi:) then he's just learned a very valuable english lesson and wont be using the word again repeatedly in a match.

I also refuse to believe that a single man utd player has ever referred to Evra using that name as Suarez claims is common in their training.

I also refuse to believe that a single man utd player has ever referred to Evra using that name as Suarez claims is common in their training.

Even if this was the case, it doesn't make it alright for someone else to say it to him.

For example (And sorry in advance for the word used, it's just for the example)...

Evra may have other friends and they may call each other "nigga". Would that then mean it's ok for Suarez to then say the same to him? No it doesn't. It is a word used between friends who know each other and know they don't mean any harm by it. A word used between friends is a world apart from someone else saying the same thing.

Archived