Police may shoot rioters claim

The prospect of armed officers opening fire on arsonists during riots only risks inflaming violence, campaigners have warned.

An official review of police tactics found officers could shoot arsonists as a last resort if they endanger life by attacking businesses attached to people's homes.

Sir Denis O'Connor, the chief inspector of constabulary, called for a public debate on how much force officers should use to quell disorder similar to that which swept through English cities in August. Plastic bullets and water cannon may also be considered in the future, he said.

Pity this policy was not in force this summer

The prospect of armed officers opening fire on arsonists during riots only risks inflaming violence, campaigners have warned.

An official review of police tactics found officers could shoot arsonists as a last resort if they endanger life by attacking businesses attached to people's homes.

Sir Denis O'Connor, the chief inspector of constabulary, called for a public debate on how much force officers should use to quell disorder similar to that which swept through English cities in August. Plastic bullets and water cannon may also be considered in the future, he said.

Pity this policy was not in force this summer

Water cannon to put the fires out, real bullets to stop known arsonists seen by police starting fires!

Sounds fair to me.....

I'm at a loss for anyone sticking up for someone raising some ones business or home to the ground because they haven't got the latest LED tv?

As a shoootist, this is the daftest bloody thing I have EVER heard, from any Government we have EVER had.

Scenario, looter just about to chuck a petrol bomb into shop, copper fires and misses, (as they have a habit of doing) any one tell me where the round will end up. No, neither can I, and worse still neither can the shooter.

Suppose it went through a window 3 or 4 hundred yards away, and hit an innocent in the nut, what then.

One of the main rule's of firearms use, NEVER fire unless you know where the round ends up. Common sense - yes.

Angel.

As a shoootist, this is the daftest bloody thing I have EVER heard, from any Government we have EVER had.

Scenario, looter just about to chuck a petrol bomb into shop, copper fires and misses, (as they have a habit of doing) any one tell me where the round will end up. No, neither can I, and worse still neither can the shooter.

Suppose it went through a window 3 or 4 hundred yards away, and hit an innocent in the nut, what then.

One of the main rule's of firearms use, NEVER fire unless you know where the round ends up. Common sense - yes.

Angel.

Shootist? Scenario, looter just about to chuck a petrol omb into a shop, copper fires and hits the target (as they usually do), the round ends up where it belongs, in the arsonist

Suppose it prevented the damage to property and the lives of innocents, what then?

One of new rules of being an arsonist is if you throw petrol bombs you may get shot. Common Law -Yes

Shootist? Scenario, looter just about to chuck a petrol omb into a shop, copper fires and hits the target (as they usually do), the round ends up where it belongs, in the arsonist

Suppose it prevented the damage to property and the lives of innocents, what then?

One of new rules of being an arsonist is if you throw petrol bombs you may get shot. Common Law -Yes

Please explain about the INNOCENT that MAY be nut shot 400yds away sat in their house.

You glibly avoid the issue in your response.

Might I suggest rubber rounds or water cannon would do the deed, without ANY one getting killed. Except the shock of water hitting the great unwashed of course.

Angel

Angel.

There won't be any innocents to hit if the Riot Act is read first.

There won't be any innocents to hit if the Riot Act is read first.

Plainly a nonsensical claim Jim, since it doesn't allow for the notion that innocents may chance upon or pass through the scene.

If you look at the history of policing in northern Ireland where rioting was much more common during the troubles you'll see that plenty of innocents were killed by the police and security forces using even so called non lethal munitions.

Live firing should have no place in riot control.

Archived