Police may shoot rioters claim

Suppose it went through a window 3 or 4 hundred yards away, and hit an innocent in the nut, what then.

One of the main rule's of firearms use, NEVER fire unless you know where the round ends up. Common sense - yes.

Angel.

There won't be any innocents to hit if the Riot Act is read first.

Riot act not applicable to INNOCENT sat in his dwelling 400yds away.

Please explain your bold above Jim.

Angel.

As a shoootist, this is the daftest bloody thing I have EVER heard, from any Government we have EVER had.

Scenario, looter just about to chuck a petrol bomb into shop, copper fires and misses, (as they have a habit of doing) any one tell me where the round will end up. No, neither can I, and worse still neither can the shooter.

Suppose it went through a window 3 or 4 hundred yards away, and hit an innocent in the nut, what then.

One of the main rule's of firearms use, NEVER fire unless you know where the round ends up. Common sense - yes.

Angel.

I agree,as even on our estate we must make sure that rounds are delivered in safety.I can see the thinking but to kill people for looting seems disproportionate.It will create martyrs and causes celebres,and transfomm a load of looters into revolutionary radicals and revolutionaries.I would urge the authorities to exercise the utmost restraint or risk being goaded into over-reaction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/14/newsid_2530000/2530649.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7069796.stm

Both deaths caused by careless conduct and a reckless attitude.

"Oi, I've got that whisky, was delivered today, how's about we get out of this chaos and have a drink" *holds bottle in air to friend across the street also trying to get home in the chaos*

BANG

Well if he's got a lighted rag in the top he gets what he deserves!!!!

Please explain about the INNOCENT that MAY be nut shot 400yds away sat in their house.

You glibly avoid the issue in your response.

Might I suggest rubber rounds or water cannon would do the deed, without ANY one getting killed. Except the shock of water hitting the great unwashed of course.

Angel

I think you raise a very valid point.....I think tasers set to kill will not penetrate windows panes or masonary but should be just as effective!

There won't be any innocents to hit if the Riot Act is read first.

What nonsense

You might have missed the fact that the riots took place in residential areas and innocents were in those areas too. Their flat catches fire and they flee only to be shot ...oh no the police never shoot any innocents fleeing!

Notwithstanding other scandals that have involved the use of firearms around the British public involving the British Army, whom you might expect to be more experienced with firearms than any police officer

Oh dear, PLEASE READ before posting, op says plainly ""bottle of whisky"" not a bloody petrol bomb.

Angel.

Well going back to the original poster if it's that obvious it's a bottle of whisky & not a petrol bomb.....the police won't be shooting them.....re-read the original post!!!!!

Archived