Boiler question.

I'm sure we have a problem with our boiler, but the council engineer says not, i've just timed it and it took 1.43 seconds for hot water to reach our bathroom tap, this is about average too. :rant:

God only knows how much water we're wasting per day but it must be srveral tens of litres minimum, and i hate waste. :mad:

We've had nothing but trouble with the thing since they fitted it, parts going regularly etc, even one of the engineers said the whole lot should be replaced, but told me not to quote him on it. :suspect:

I'm at my wits end with the bloody thing.

It's a Glow.worm flexicom (30?) CX.

Surely it has to have something wrong with it. ?

I honestly don't mean to be flippant here but do you mean 1 min 43 secs or really 1.43secs?

If it's a combi boiler (pressure guage on front & no hot water tank upstairs) it could be scale in the heat exchanger. That was a problem that caused slow hot water to my taps in the past!

Hope you can sort the problems with it!

Does it get warmer when you restrict the flow i.e turn the tap so the water comes out slower?

Does it fluctuate a lot between hot & cold when it first starts to come warm?

Yes, 1 minute 43 seconds, and the boiler is less than a year old, though it's packed in at least 5 times in that period.

we were looking to change to a water meter before we had this runt installed, to try and cut costs, now we're afraid too.

It's located about 12ft from our kitchen sink, hot water to that tap takes around a minute, maybe more.

To be honest it's the bathroom supply that's winding me up, though the kitchen supply is a pain too, but we have 4 children and trying to keep them to good hygiene practises after using the toilet is made ten times harder when they have to stand there for such a length of time just to be able to wash their hands with hot water.

We had 3 engineers out in one day at one point, all left scratching their heads, on one occasion two engineers trying to sort problem ended up stood on our back garden, as "the boiler was doing things it wasn't supposed to", to quote them, they were concerned it could explode, though they neglected to come into our living room to tell us. !

I'm sure we have a problem with our boiler, but the council engineer says not, i've just timed it and it took 1.43 seconds for hot water to reach our bathroom tap, this is about average too. :rant:

Our boiler as a setting that allows the boiler to pre heat to cut the time down between turning the tap on and getting hot water, you could try turning the tap on so the water runs just fast enough to turn the boiler on and when the hot water starts coming through turn the flow up. Hot water should start a little faster and you will waste less water.

Get the kids used to washing their hands under cold water I very rarely run the hot tap in the bathroom.

PS. I don’t think a gas engineer would hesitate at condemning the boiler if they think it isn’t safe.

Archived