Sheffield Cinema Organs

comptonplus

• 2 weeks later...

The only one I ever saw was at the ABC, in the very late sixties. It came up on hydraulics before the show and in the interval. Marvellous. Can't remember the tunes but they were popular easy listening hits of the day

I'm told that there is still a functioning Wurlitzer at Penistone cinema, though I haven't seen it.

The only one I ever saw was at the ABC, in the very late sixties. It came up on hydraulics before the show and in the interval. Marvellous. Can't remember the tunes but they were popular easy listening hits of the day

I'm told that there is still a functioning Wurlitzer at Penistone cinema, though I haven't seen it.

A lot of people forget this one because it was a comparatively new cinema. but it was an excellent instrument. ABC, actually employed two ( for north and south) organist's to go round it's cinemas so equipped, spending a few days at each one

As a young kid in the 1940s I remember an organ at the Abbeydale Cinema, it was hydraulic and disappeared as the show commenced, I remember there was a small light on the right upper keyboard which came on to inform the organist that the show was ready to commence, I would look to see it come on and then inform my parents the film was starting, happy days.

• 2 weeks later...

We moved to Lincolnshire a few years ago and were told by a few locals to visit http://www.thekinemainthewoods.co.uk at Woodall Spa.

Its a fantastic family owned cinema, used to be a sports pavillion for The Victoria Hotel. When the hotel burnt down in 1920 the pavillion was bought and turned into a "Rear Projection Cinema" because of the low roof height.

On our first visit a fantastic Compton Cinema Organ rose from in front of the screen in the interval and the cinema owner played it untill the end of the interval

Its a fantastic place and would recomend visiting, its just like `The Pictures` used to be.

Archived